Culling the Herd: Anyone Else Feel the Need to do So?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
From personal experience, I'd recommend offering them for sale here at the net price you think you'd get on eBay. After you deduct the listing fees and commissions, you may do well by offering them here and you don't have to suffer the eBay crap. I'd send any remaining ones to Pipestud and just accept what I got. Due to the amount of traffic and trust Steve has established, he may get enough more to cover his commissions. Good luck regardless of what you decide.
Thanks. I've sold many pipes on ebay over the years, but more and more it's becoming a bad process. The fees definitely suck, and I'm not a fan. I figured I'd start there as I have a larger market to sell to, and see how it goes from there. We'll see. I'll have to look into PipeStud as I completely forgot about that until this thread.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Many of the ones I would choose to part ways with simply aren't worth that much money. I am almost tempted to toss them; however, to someone with an eye toward some of the more forgotten brands, such as Pipe Maker, I would be willing to sell them. At this point, I have my personal favorites and I have some sentimental favorites as well as a few interesting pieces I don't see myself selling.

Damned. It is so hard to let go.

I too have a warm spot for my Pipe Maker pipes.

They look like Lees and smoke like Lees, same stinger as a Lee.

The damned bullseyes fall out.

They aren’t worth much of anything to buy or sell.

So I stuff my glove compartments and cubbyholes with em.

If I sold them I’d have to replace them with higher end pipes, you know?

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ive a few to sell that I dont smoke. Ive also a bunch of basket and not high end pipes that I cleaned up. I will probably put them up for sale for 20 bucks a pop but I dont know if any of our EU members buy cheap pipes. I mostly worked on the for something to do and for practice messing with briar. I guess if no one ends up wanting them they can live in a box and be garden pipes in the summer.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Rationalize your culling of the herd such as this…for every 5-10 pipes you let go…you replace them with 1 you truly desire. 🤣
Recently, intended on quitting altogether and sold off almost all my briar & Meers. I kept a couple cobs for sentimental reasons. Now, my rotation consists of 5 MM 🌽 cobs and I’m less distracted for sure. Now, I just zero in on appreciating the 🍂. Very nice Meer collection there. 👍☕

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Rationalize your culling of the herd such as this…for every 5-10 pipes you let go…you replace them with 1 you truly desire. 🤣
Recently, intended on quitting altogether and sold off almost all my briar & Meers. I kept a couple cobs for sentimental reasons. Now, my rotation consists of 5 MM 🌽 cobs and I’m less distracted for sure. Now, I just zero in on appreciating the 🍂. Very nice Meer collection there. 👍☕

That actually is my rational. LOL The plan is to sell off a handful of pipes that I just don't grab that often, and replace them with 1 or 2 really nice pipes. I'm looking for a Ser Jacopo and a Castello, as I've always wanted a nice briar from these brands.

At one point I had 29 meers, and I just don't need that many. I sold a couple last year, and I figured I'd sell a handful more to let someone else enjoy them and put some color on them.