PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Looking to buy a few meerschaums from Ebay that already have some beautiful coloring. However, many of you may feel the same way, but estate pipes can often be a bit... Gross.. Are there any do's and don'ts/tips for buying estate meers?

Reactions: Lucashly

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I'm the same way. I already don't like the idea of estates, and I prefer to color meers myself. So I'd NEVER buy an estate meer, or oxblood one. The coloring is like a badge of honor.
I feel the same way, I think I am impatient and want one colored already but also desperately want to color my own. A good exercise in patience.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
For some reason the thought of smoking someone else's meerschaum grosses me out. Probably irrational as I have many estate briars....something about the residue I think
*Moist* residue, of some unknown, possibly filthy person, seeped deeply into its absorbent heart, just waiting for you to release its foulness with the heat of your first smoke.

The deep brown is from scooping dog poop with it, and that's real oxen's blood.puffy

I have no problem with meer-lined estate briar though, lol.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Estate buying can be hard, particularly if you don't know the person who is selling it. They're some guys who are very reputable, but you have to learn who they are.

Reactions: Lucashly

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I am fine with an old meer if the pipe appeals to me. I bought a 1911 Edwardian lady meer as it was very similar to my great-grandmother in her wedding picture. Even after thorough cleaning you will have to deal with some funk but depending on what tobacco was smoked in it that may not be much of an issue. The story is usually my reason for buying an old one as I also enjoy coloring my meers.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've bought many estate meerschaum pipes, and have never had an issue. Heck about half of my meer collection are estates. Most of my estate meers were not colored very much if at all, so much of the coloring they do have is from me. Though that is not a real factor for me if I like the pipe.

As for tips or tricks, it's the same as buying almost anything on ebay or any other secondary market.
-What is the sellers rating, and how many negative reviews do they have. I try to stick to sellers that have a 98% rating or better.
-Lots of pictures of good quality. Avoid sellers that have like 1 or 2 pics that are of bad quality or at bad angle. More pics at all angles is better to evaluate the pipe.
-When reviewing pics look for cracks, chips, and tenon and mortise fitting (if that's a concern for you).
-Does the seller have experience selling pipes? Have they sold pipes before? Look at their selling history. If they have experience selling pipes then they are more likely to provide better information about the pipe.
-If you're unsure about something then ask the seller a question. If they don't answer or can't answer the question then use your best judgement.

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
I've bought many estate meerschaum pipes, and have never had an issue. Heck about half of my meer collection are estates. Most of my estate meers were not colored very much if at all, so much of the coloring they do have is from me. Though that is not a real factor for me if I like the pipe.

As for tips or tricks, it's the same as buying almost anything on ebay or any other secondary market.
-What is the sellers rating, and how many negative reviews do they have. I try to stick to sellers that have a 98% rating or better.
-Lots of pictures of good quality. Avoid sellers that have like 1 or 2 pics that are of bad quality or at bad angle. More pics at all angles is better to evaluate the pipe.
-When reviewing pics look for cracks, chips, and tenon and mortise fitting (if that's a concern for you).
-Does the seller have experience selling pipes? Have they sold pipes before? Look at their selling history. If they have experience selling pipes then they are more likely to provide better information about the pipe.
-If you're unsure about something then ask the seller a question. If they don't answer or can't answer the question then use your best judgement.
This.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
My first estate was a meer, don’t be skeered.
MHCG broke down good advice, and I’d throw in that Meerschaum Market is a good source for replacement tenons and stems.

Many can’t abide estates, and that’s fine. Me, I love old pipes and between expense and availability getting and refurbishing estates is the only way I can enjoy them, and honestly the refurbishing is very satisfying. Lists of great info (and some crap regurgitation of bad advice) out there.

My first meer: this thread has the process I used to get it up and running, and these are pics of when I got it, and enjoying it this afternoon.4802AF69-452A-4247-8E1D-FCAF4F5C77F0.jpeg9FD6FE8F-D05C-4016-A944-FF08C68B4353.jpeg

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
My first estate was a meer, don’t be skeered.
MHCG broke down good advice, and I’d throw in that Meerschaum Market is a good source for replacement tenons and stems.

Many can’t abide estates, and that’s fine. Me, I love old pipes and between expense and availability getting and refurbishing estates is the only way I can enjoy them, and honestly the refurbishing is very satisfying. Lists of great info (and some crap regurgitation of bad advice) out there.

My first meer: this thread has the process I used to get it up and running, and these are pics of when I got it, and enjoying it this afternoon.View attachment 233431View attachment 233432
I enjoyed your thread. I haven't tried it but I knew it could be done. Nice work.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
It's in the briar too, just more difficult to see.
That's true.
But with a meerschaum, you see well those beautiful hues which (partly) consist of spit and skin oils of some (probably dead) guy.
Yuckity yuck.
As much as I like meers, I would never want to get an estate, even as a gift.