PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
My top VA is SG Full VA Flake. Number 2 is GL Pease Union Square, followed by C & D Opening Night. I also like all of the Red Carolina Flake Red VAs, and have recently found Simply Orange by Watch City. It was limited, but Ernie says it will be added to his regular menu soon, which is great news.

Reactions: Sethology12

MichaelDurso

Lurker
Apr 16, 2023
Missouri
These are the blends I have tried so far. Are there any other great VA tobaccos out there that I'm missing?

Orlik - pretty much my favorite and daily smoker
Samuel Gawith Full VA Flake - I wanted to love this blend but no matter how much I let it dry it was still too wet and also got a tongue bite. I have some that been sitting for 8 years I may try this weekend see if it's got any better.
Dunhill Flake - More pricy than orlik but great blend
McClelland - Christmas Cheer - I have a few tins in my cellar. just a special occasion tobacco at this point.
Esoterica - Dochester, Dunbar, Peacehaven, Tilbury. Have a few tins from each, again special occasion tobacco.
Orlik is my go-to as well, and I had the exact same experience with full Virginia flake. Always smokes wet, terrible tongue bite, and also wouldn’t stay lit no matter how dry. Very weird.

Capstan Navy Flake (blue tin) is another wonderful Virginia I’d recommend.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I have a ton of McClelland in the cellar, so I'm set, but for current production I'll also say C&D Opening Night. I had open tins of fresh Opening Night and 5 year old Union Square and actually preferred the Opening Night. Doesn't happen often that I go for a fresh Virginia.

Chris from Cigarworld

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2022
Lübeck, Germany
www.cigarworld.de
I can also recommend Amphora Virginia very much. I have seen in person how high quality Virginias are used for this blend as i visited the MB factory in October, and how they are processed. They are hot pressed, which gives the tobacco a kind of "aging in fast forward", and makes them very round and savoury. But some may miss the "edges" that bright and fresh Virginias have. I like it very much, and could smoke it all day. it's a damn good value for the money. BtW: It is Per Georg Jensens favourite tobacco too.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I just received a tin of formerly Dunhill Flake, Peterson Flake, haven‘t smoked it yet but it smells like a standard Virginia flake, very good but nothing too special, probably something you could find in bulk…

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Four current, easy to get, straight Virginia’s:
Mac Baren HH pure Virginia
Dan tobacco Hamborger Veermaster
Hands down my top two
Next is Sutliff 507c Virginia slices, (slices of Heaven)!

Reactions: elvishrunes
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I can also recommend Amphora Virginia very much. I have seen in person how high quality Virginias are used for this blend as i visited the MB factory in October, and how they are processed. They are hot pressed, which gives the tobacco a kind of "aging in fast forward", and makes them very round and savoury. But some may miss the "edges" that bright and fresh Virginias have. I like it very much, and could smoke it all day. it's a damn good value for the money. BtW: It is Per Georg Jensens favourite tobacco too.
Amphora is a sleepier blend that surprised me. Good taste at a reasonable price and I've been breaking up flakes, so they've done the work for me (although I like the ritual).

There are other great bulk Virginia's as others have suggested.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
All time favorites: McClelland 40th Anniversary, other Christmas Cheers, Virginia number series. Hardly relevant since these have been out of production since 2017.

Present day: Sir John's Flake Virginia, Capstan Gold and Blue, Wessex Gold Virginia Flake, Vauen No 14, F&T CVP, Vintage and CBP, MB HH Pure Virginia and Virginia Flake, SG BBF, GH Scottish Flake. Newminster 400 is in there for the best bargain value bulk.

Reactions: umbrella001

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
These are the blends I have tried so far. Are there any other great VA tobaccos out there that I'm missing?

Orlik - pretty much my favorite and daily smoker
Samuel Gawith Full VA Flake - I wanted to love this blend but no matter how much I let it dry it was still too wet and also got a tongue bite. I have some that been sitting for 8 years I may try this weekend see if it's got any better.
Dunhill Flake - More pricy than orlik but great blend
McClelland - Christmas Cheer - I have a few tins in my cellar. just a special occasion tobacco at this point.
Esoterica - Dochester, Dunbar, Peacehaven, Tilbury. Have a few tins from each, again special occasion tobacco.
My new personal favorite is Peterson Flake.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Besides all the topdog VA's already mentioned, some of Ernie's (Watch City Cigar) VA blends are good if you can get them, Simply Orange VA is really pleasant.

It'll be a sad day if SG/GH ever closes their doors. FVF is IMO the best EVER VA.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If you're lucky enough to live in the USA you've got a great selection of Virginias to choose from. Unfortunately the choice is nowhere near as big in the UK but I have got a fair selection of US tobaccos in the cellar.

My favourites at the moment are:

Mcclelland Christmas Cheer
Germain's Brown Flake
Germain's Medium Flake
Gawith Dark XX Plug
Gawith Westmorland Slices
Sam Gawith English Summer Flake
Full Virginia Plug
Kendal Plug
Golden Glow
Maybe this thread should be titled "Favorite Tobacco Toppings?".
Most of these blends are more about what gets sprayed on them than what tobacco(s) they are made with.
(My favorite topping is Jimmies.)

Y2kpipper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2022
I have a ton of McClelland in the cellar, so I'm set, but for current production I'll also say C&D Opening Night. I had open tins of fresh Opening Night and 5 year old Union Square and actually preferred the Opening Night. Doesn't happen often that I go for a fresh Virginia.
So what would it take for you to share a bowl full of 5100 I would love to try it

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’m sure I’m repeating some blends, but here are some classics that are readily available:

Capstan Blue
HH Pure Virginia (available in 1lb bulk boxes)
Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (bulk)
Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices (bulk)

For something a little off the beaten track, try Mr. Christian’s Brown Flek and Jupiter Slices from Ken Byron Ventures

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
I like Orlik and Peterson Flake but have Capstan Blue as my top Virginia smoke. Always satisfactory and the only tobacco I smoke and enjoy the (very) few times I do garden work with a pipe in my mouth.

And speaking about garden work, FVF is a strange one for me. I have tried it in different pipes, semi moist to crispy dry, cube Cut, folded, rubbed out, but the GRASS hits me like a hammer. Like some people react to cilantro/coriander taking over and tasting soap (me too) I feel like someone had mowed his/her lawn, collected a sack of fresh grass and shoved it up my nasal cavity.
No nuances, no virginia... Just grass.
Which is sad. Supposedly a good smoke.

Nah, Cappie Blue for me.

Reactions: eljimmy and yanoJL