PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpowens

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
Hi everyone, I've had my pipe for just about a year and a half now but I've been slow in getting really into the practice of smoking. I've been reading up on the shapes of pipes but I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help me distinguish which shape my pipe is. I'm thinking it is a Zulu shaped pipe but I could be wrong. Cheers!
photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I'd call it a Zulu. It is a member of the Dublin family and could be called that without generating to much arguing -- unlikely as that might be for a group of pipe smokers.
Shapes are flexible in their descriptions. Some have a bunch associated with them. I like Canadians but could come up with a half-dozen names. I think though that they are all Canadians.
This might help some for the more generic shapes. Custom makers tend to make up their own shape names to cloud the issue even more.

Pipe%20Shape%20Chart.jpg

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Some are sticklers about shape and that helps on ebay. In my rack most of my Canadians aren't. They are Liverpools. And that one with the oval stem still isn't a Canadian when you drill down shapes; it is a Lumberman.
This is all starting to give me a headache and it is too early for a drink. I better light up instead. And, those "Canadians" stay on the rack and I'll try a Billiard or is that one an apple? Nevermind, I will get that early drink.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
In cases like this, I tend to ignore what the stem adds to the shape and focus on the stummel. Without the stem, the stummel looks like a Dublin, no question about that. This is most evident in the shank. The shank is too thick, straight, and offers no evidence of that slight Zulu curve, and lacks the delicate taper you would find if intended to be a Zulu.
You could easily straighten that stem back out and have yourself a fine example of a Dublin. With a bent stem, it's not quite a Zulu, just a little confused.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Consider these photos with the stems cropped off:
1422484_10200957312002679_650742171_n.jpg

The stem can easily be re-bent, altered, or replaced, so the stummel plays a very important part in defining the shape of the pipe.
Of course, this is only for the knowledge seeking purists who are hell-bent on accuracy. It's your pipe. Feel free to call it what you want!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wasn't this question on the SAT test? I would say Dublin on a technicality, that being that the bowl flares

at the rim to a degree that isn't typical of the zulu, of which I have three. The zulu has a smooth flow

from the bowl to the stem, whereas the Dublin has a more pronounced bowl. Or that's my take on it.

However, if you proudly showed me this pipe announcing it as a zulu, I wouldn't bother you with my

"expertise." Dublins and zulu are two of my favorite shapes, along with the ever-beloved billiard.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I'd call it a Zulu if the bowl wasn't canted I'd call it a Woodstock, to be a Dublin the bowl has to taper.

Status
Not open for further replies.