PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DennisT

Lurker
Oct 3, 2022
What do you all use to replace the cotton wadding inside the Zippo insert that soaks up and holds the fuel? Household cotton balls? Just wondered if it's something special. Can't seem to find it for sale as such, and if simple cotton why buy something more expensive...... Thanks...

MGAOKC

Might Stick Around
Oct 2, 2022
OKC OK
Trim my wicks 2 or 3 times a year.
To clean up a use a little steel wool to buff it up, looks like new.
I started using the rubber gaskets also.
I fill up on the weekend and go all week now.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I use almost exclusively Zippos with pipe inserts, new inserts are $8-12 or free if you send it back to Zippo. I don't do any maintenance in the insert. I've had the same case for about 15 years, its on its 3rd insert.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
Complete tear down followed by Brasso bath. Then grain alcohol bath and filtered air dry. Reassemble with clean cotton gloves on while 42 virgins are singing in the background.

No. Never cleaned my Zippo.
Forget the zippo ...

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
Zippos are amazing and is most of you know they last pretty much a lifetime. I had a friend who purchased one at the PX when he was in the Army before he shipped overseas in World War II. He spent two and a half years in A POW Camp and still manage to hang on to his lighter. He carried the same lighter through Korea and through one tour in Vietnam and then retired after 30 years in the army.
He worked for me in one of the smoke shops I managed and still had his Zippo about 1990.

It was one of the first models of Zippo with the Chrome plated brass case and external hinges. Almost all of the Chrome was gone from his lighter but it still worked like a Zippo!

cappadoc

Lurker
Aug 23, 2015
No cleaning or maintenance necessary.
Remember, KISS.
Fill, light, use, fill.
Repeat as needed.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
This one lives in a box on my deck table. Wrapped in tape so my ham fists won’t constantly have to pick it up off the deck. After a few years the box disintegrated around it. replaced with Tupperware from the kitchen. Good for a lifetime now! Yes, I know this is why I can’t have nice things. 9923BD57-DEE7-4AE6-8F85-11FA35DBC350.jpeg

Reactions: bullet08

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This one lives in a box on my deck table. Wrapped in tape so my ham fists won’t constantly have to pick it up off the deck. After a few years the box disintegrated around it. replaced with Tupperware from the kitchen. Good for a lifetime now! Yes, I know this is why I can’t have nice things. View attachment 206931
This is why I prefer inexpensive pipes. But don't feel bad, I drop my 20 dollar Zippo often, but I drop my 120 dollar old boy even more often! 😫