Your Disappointing Pipe: Ugly, Runs Hot, etc.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I don't have a picture of it on hand, but I had an Ashton tanblast straight poker that felt like it was going to combust into flames everytime I smoked it, no matter what I tried. Needless to say, I got rid of it. It was a visually beautiful piece, so I was very disappointed

Anarres

Lurker
Aug 15, 2024
Seoul
20240519_204408.jpg20240519_204026.jpg

This is one of the cheapest brigham pipes you can buy, 49usd on smokingpipes.com.
Out of 8 pipes I have (some inherited, some bought new and some bought used), this is the only one that really disappointed me. I do like the shape and the feel of the rustication, but it's really not finished properly. The black stain never stops coming off. After using it for over 30 times, it still darkens my fingers. Very unpleasant.
Also, it gets hot very quickly and did get burnt at the bottom. Wasn't smoking fast and this never happened to me before or after with any other pipes. Well.. it gave me a chance to work with pipe mud and now it smokes fine. I am more conscious with my cadence while smoking this one tho.
I might have picked up a lemon, but now I try to avoid getting pipes that are too cheap 😅

Merton

Lifer
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
1. An eltang pencil shank dublin which smoked so hot that it really was impossible to use.
2. All four F. Becker pipes that I have owned. Love how they look. Every one gurgled and whistled.
3. I once loved my Castello 10s. However, is it possible for Castello to produce a tapered stem? How about one that is at least close....

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
1. An eltang pencil shank dublin which smoked so hot that it really was impossible to use.
2. All four F. Becker pipes that I have owned. Love how they look. Every one gurgled and whistled.
3. I once loved my Castello 10s. However, is it possible for Castello to produce a tapered stem? How about one that is at least close....
Any pics of these pipes?

greysmoke

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
South Coatesville, PA
www.greysmoke.com
With many hundreds of pipes passing through my hands over the past few decades, I only recall two objectively bad ones:

- Jockey brand, leather-covered pot that smoked like a zinc incinerator burning yesterday's garbage
- Nording 2000 Hunter pipe, the "boar." Loved the pipe and tried everything, but I couldn't keep it from gurgling.

Those two are long gone, and I think both were aberrations. I certainly have had plenty of fantastic Nordings -- two of which remain in my now-savagely-culled pipe collection.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Just threw my one troublesome pipe away. Smoked great, ugly as sin and absolutely reeked of old lady perfume. I sanded it down and it still stunk so in the trash it went. Felt good.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I had a Savinelli that had a church warden stem and stretched out bowl. These things are called "opera" bowls. It was stamped "Gandalf". Only cost $100 so I bought it. Couldn't get it to work for me. Sold it through Pipestud.