PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
Well the last of my pipe acquisition train have been ordered, and I'm out of money until the summer or even the fall, and I would like to show off my pipes of this year, but don't have the patience to wait a for everything else to come in first so I'm starting this now. I'll probably let this sit for a few days before the last quick pipe comes in, then until whenever McQueen finally finishes my two churchwardens -- then its dead until summer or fall like I said (if its already almost summer by the time the McQueens get in I'll be sad).
Without further ado, we'll just go in the order I got them, kay?
First Up - Peterson 307 P-lip Ebony. Cost 110 USD and is absolutely Gorgeous, from smokingpipes.com This is the pipe that seems to like me the best.

peterson-307-in-hand-150x120.jpg

Next we have a Peterson Barrel that I quite like. Cost 58 USD, also from smokingpipes.com. Very nice but it does gurgle a bit and get too wet in the stem (oddly the smoke is dry). Smoke slowly and yer fine though, plus the small-ish bowl is nice for nippy weather.
peterson-barrel-in-hand-150x120.jpg

Third on the block is a Plymouth (which is made in France) Canadian that is -very- finicky about how its is smoked. Also from smokingpipes.com an estate pipe at 35 USD. I hated it at first, but as we got to know each-other its become a much better relationship, and not one mouthful of juice since the winter solstice.
plymouth-in-hand-150x120.jpg

Fourth, and last from that order from smokingpipes.com is a little no-name (I don't see one anyway) that I don't really like, but paid nothing for, it came with a package of sample tobacco, pipe-cleaners, tool, single pipe rest and probably some other stuff I've since forgotten. I keep it because it looks moderately attractive, and it's good for chewing on because I don't care about it, but I probably won't ever smoke it again.
no-name-in-hand-150x120.jpg

All right now what was next. . . I think the white clays. I think 20 USD for the set off ebay. There are four of these things, only one of which is even remotely long. These taught me clays are actually very nice and I got some more afterwards. I like them, but they do discolour and pipe up dirt pretty bad, they've already gotten dirty enough I've regulated them as house pipes.

german-clay-short-w-150x120.jpg

german-clay-long-w-150x120.jpg

There were also 2 black ones, ordered from the same bloke also for 20 USD that were much longer (thus 2 instead of 4 I suppose) and because of however the special treatment that makes them black works -- they smelled like dirt -strong- for over a week. Now they don't, but they take in the smell of whatever tobacco pretty strong too and between that and them being too heavy to clench, they aren't smoked as oft as they would be if they were my only clays.

german-clays-b2-150x120.jpg

Next came the Ukranian pipes, these aren't good. . .not sure why I even bought them, but they look okay on the shelves and two have windcaps so they might see use on a really windy day (if for some reason I actually decide to go outside on such a windy day). Meh, they cost about 25 USD per set of 7 on ebay so I'm not out that much I suppose. . ..

ukranian-old-men-xwei-150x120.jpg

ukranian-tan-bulbs-150x120.jpg

ukranian-tomatoe-150x120.jpg

ukranian-with-wincap-zwei-150x120.jpg

brown-old-men-zwei-150x120.jpg

Then came the Kiseru from j-list.com at 16 USD plus whatever shipping was. I like this thing, but I really wish I had some koiki for it, that should be remedied eventually though.
kiseru-150x120.jpg

The Waren-Zeichen Viennese Coffeehouse - Pipe set was next, also from ebay and I paid 30 USD for this one and it is fantastig. However a bit of cork goes in the bowls and that makes the hole small enough for the bamboo's metal male attachment to hold. The cork broke and now just barely holds -- if I take it out of the bowl its in I'll never get it back in another one functionally, and I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to make a new cork bit. I don't blame the seller though don't get me wrong, this thing is -old- and the cork was just dried out since it had never once been used. I spent a whole 800 words praising this thing when I got it so, suffice to say I love it okay?
waren-zeichen-set-150x120.jpg

We're coming to the end now. A little mini-cob (Nuveu not MM)I paid 5 USD for. . . it's okay, I don't really like it (the smoke is REALLY hot) even though it burns so slow and dry. But definitely not a bad pipe. Just the stem is too short is what is really comes down to.
cob-in-hand-150x120.jpg

That just leaves the four I got today, a black medico expected tomorrow or next week, and then the two MCQueens that could any week from now until mid-April.
First I opened the two from Wallbright so let's do them first. Obviously Wallbright is the member here on this very forum. He really touted them as needing some restoration and to be like new they really do, but I -like- the slightly aged look of them, so I won't be doing that. I paid 19 USD (including shipping) for the pair.
there is the Medico Guardsman first off, and all I can say about either of them is that they are attractive as I haven't smoked them yet (just opened them before I started this post)

img00515-150x120.jpg

img00516-150x120.jpg

and then the Frank Medico which is more of a generic straight than the other to me, but then I thought everyone should own at least one regular straight that actually smokes okay. Which I hope this one does. I do need to thoroughly clean it though, the stem is rather sour but that's easily fixed.

img00520-150x120.jpg

And last, I got a package with two MM pipes today, both with custom acrylic stems. I wish I had better lighting for the first though, since in proper lighting its stem is an AMAZING blue.
#1 is the MM Great Dane Egg. Bought from a bloke on ebay as with the next pipe and paid 20 USD. Looks fantastic and just feels right, I hope to high Haven it smokes half as good. The stem in it is really a glorious and bright blue, and of course the yellow MM bent stem is below it. also it has an interesting bowl feature that is easier shown than explained.
img00523-600x480.jpg

img00517-150x120.jpg

It does look fantastig though
img00518-150x120.jpg

And last, something that is just really interesting (I think) is the MM OH23 Old Hickory, which according to the information resulted from MM buying a warehouse that had a case of hickory bowls made 25-30 years ago that this guy refinished and stemmed.Same guy as the above MM, and paid 37 USD.
"OH23" is actually the number of my specific one. In oddly good luck he said they'd come with a black stem and the gold MM-esque stem but I got one straight and one bent black stem, with two filters instead of one. Sweet :D I dislike the gold stems anyway.

img00521-150x120.jpg

And that's it until the last three come in.
I think after my snuff order from Toque comes in I'll do a couple shots of all my various tobaccos just for fun (they were all bought this year as well so it makes sense :P)
Oh, and just for fun too, my lighters.

lichter-auch-match-150x120.jpg

From right to left:
zippo-style lighter, Tifa from FF VII (Advent Children model)

zippo-style lighter, Aerith from FF VII (Advent Children model)

nifty bic I've had a few weeks

and a perma-match thingie actually from zippo, you fill it with fluid and little tube with a bit of steel and a wic is attached to the cap, you strike it on a long piece of flint in the side and its kinda like a match. . .it is a pain to actually light since the sparks go -away- from the wick and it leaves too much of a fluid flavour to use for pipes so Its only real purpose is to be a novelty on my shelf heh heh.
I also have a BUNCH of matches, but those are all the same really why show them.
A final note -- I am very much like my grandfather (and this is why I posted what I paid for each pipe) and everything above is technically available for equitable trades in pipe or tobacco -- or sale at a meager profit, for pipes I almost always ask for what I paid plus a couple dollars for shipping, though on occasion I have something worth more than I paid for it. Right now only the Waren-Zeichen is worth more than I paid, at about 50 USD, 70 if I can make a new cork bit for it, just as an example.
An exception of this will be the McQueens when they come in since they are technically custom made and I don't ever sell anything custom made for me. I'm not trying to push a sale or trade here, I quite like most of them and the few I don't I think I made it clear enough I doubt anyone would want them -- but its just the way I operate to inform, because I rather enjoy dickering with someone I respect, its the whole reason I do things the way I do.

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
Wow! You have a great collection, a nice mix of traditional and unique. I hope they serve you well for many, many years. :clap:

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
After you smoke that thick cob for the 10th time, It'll give you a beautiful smoke everytime, I promise!

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
nice pipes man. you are going to build yet another pipe rack soon. :puffpipe:

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Oh god....I don't wanna!
I might need to invest in a wood shop, seriously heh heh.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's a very eclectic assortment -- sort of "all over the place" style-wise; but that should make for some very interesting smoking experiences. It'll be interesting to see how each tobacco changes with the pipe choice.

...and thanks for the heads-up on the Ukranian pipes. I've always had my doubts about them.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I only smoke 3 blends of tobacco right now mostly because of the vast differences in my pipes actually. No tobacco tastes the exact same in 2 different pipes. Except for clays of the same make (the 4 whites, the waren-zeichen or the 2 blacks), and that has to be almost exact.
And yeah, the ukranian things are pretty shoddy. First of all they're made from woods not really suited to pipes that impart strange (not good, not bad) flavours, the oak ones are irritating since most people have at least a very mild allergy to oak when heated, most of them have walls so thin they'll burn right through in a good month of smoking tops. Just bad pipes in general.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
What's really cool that I just noticed, all the MM stems are inter-changeable. cooler than it may initially sound heh heh.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
img00527-600x480.jpg

New Black Medico came in today. Very nice, I seriously doubt that bit on the schank is real marble, but it looks almost as good and that is just as good in my book given the price of marble (pretty sure its just hard plastic).
love the slant at the top of the bowl and the little talon at the bottom of it. A very classy little 'kinda bent'. Unfortunately I'm fairly certain the entire thing is the same hard plastic and am a little leery of actually smoking the thing. I might give it a try, but otherwise -- I chew on pipes frequently, this was cheap as dirt (in a more literal sense than saying it was basically free) at 11.50 USD anyway so I'll live if I can't smoke it because its attractive and I wouldn't hate it as something that could almost be called either an accessory or even (worse?) a pacifier.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yoru,

i just got a great Dane Egg cob and it smokes very well. hard to tell from the picture but the bit on the cob looks like a "Forever Stem" from walker Briar Works. The stem alone is over $20.00.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Nah, they're made by "themopeddoctor" on ebay, and if the pipe cleaner sleeve I got with it is something to go by he has a company called pipe maker emporium (pipemakers.org) -- but he certainly gets his cobs from aristocob because he ships with one of their golf tees. . .. They charge 9 for a Great Dane for example so that means 11 on the stem including his profit so, that's a damn fine deal.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Welcome Mike heh heh
My first antique!! voila
SO cool, despite being worn half to death, and they said the pipe itself has been repaired so I'm hoping to be able to smoke it. Like I said, its worn half to death and worth jack crap as an antique, but. . . it has character is all I can say.
Oh and there's actually tobacco in the pouch, but being a paper pouch I somewhat doubt I'll be smoking it. . . . Ah if its not molded we all know I'm going to try a bowl . . .
WTH happened to I'm not buying anymore pipes? I need to get a job -- I'm kinda eating into my food budget a little bit (okay a fair bit). I only saved up so much to get me through until summer . ...

Status
Not open for further replies.