Yellowish marks and how to get rid of them?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Those are spots where the lacquer is coming off, just take some alcohol and a few cotton balls and strip the rest of it off. You don't want that stuff on a pipe anyway.
I am glad you pointed this out. I thought the OP was referring to the wonderful fill you can clearly see in the upper portion of the pipe.

JVR 090

Lurker
Mar 17, 2023
Are you sure that it makes sense for you to work on this pipe?? It would make more sense to send it out to a refurbisher considering you don't know anything about pipes.
Well I do enjoy learning about pipes and doing things myself helps me with this and in my country and where I live it would be a real challenge to get someone who repairs pipes so I might as well learn to do so myself and I quite enjoy the learning process so you have to start somewhere I suppose

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Well I do enjoy learning about pipes and doing things myself helps me with this and in my country and where I live it would be a real challenge to get someone who repairs pipes so I might as well learn to do so myself and I quite enjoy the learning process so you have to start somewhere I suppose
Where DO you live ?
Might be of help to know if you need to be directed to a retailer or repairer

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Ah, at least you have access to Sturks Tobacconist in Cape Town.
I have a good friend who hails from Sth Africa (now an Aussie, by way of Germany and the U.K.)
He brings back a supply of the excellent Sturks Balkan Blend whenever he visits.

Those wonderful times are over. The owner had to close the old store on one of Cape Towns most visited public places, because of the Covid tobacco ban in 2020. And maybe almost nobody smokes pipe in SA any more.

The daughter of the owner moved to a small corner in a shopping centre. They still sell tobaccos as home blends. I tried three non aromatics, the Balkan, the three nuns substitute called Three Bells and Black Velvet as i visited Sturks in the new shop last year.

And I am sorry, none of the tobaccos fulfilled the slightest expectations. There was no Perique - as said it was - 😟 in the Three Nuns blend,, I couldn’t find any Orientals, not even Latakia, in the Balkan either. The best was the Black Velvet pure black, mild South African tobacco.

All blends smelled and tasted a lot like Van Erkoms blends like Fox or Jock with a slightly different sauce.

And on top of it from Ostkaap to Cape Town the trip may take at least a day.

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper

JVR 090

Lurker
Mar 17, 2023
Those wonderful times are over. The owner had to close the old store on one of Cape Towns most visited public places, because of the Covid tobacco ban in 2020. And maybe almost nobody smokes pipe in SA any more.

The daughter of the owner moved to a small corner in a shopping centre. They still sell tobaccos as home blends. I tried three non aromatics, the Balkan, the three nuns substitute called Three Bells and Black Velvet as i visited Sturks in the new shop last year.

And I am sorry, none of the tobaccos fulfilled the slightest expectations. There was no Perique - as said it was - 😟 in the Three Nuns blend,, I couldn’t find any Orientals, not even Latakia, in the Balkan either. The best was the Black Velvet pure black, mild South African tobacco.

All blends smelled and tasted a lot like Van Erkoms blends like Fox or Jock with a slightly different sauce.

Yeah it really is a struggle to get anything to do with pipes around here but at least here in the eastern cape we still have Wesley's as a tobacconist which is where I go for house blends and such but the owner passed some time ago, I think it is now run by his brother who is also quite knowledgeable in the field but I am unsure who he will pass it on to.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

Depressing but increasingly common occurrence, even pre-COVID, with increased anti-smoking legislation and tariffs on tobacco

Sydney lost its largest tobacconist, Sol Levy some years ago

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Depressing but increasingly common occurrence, even pre-COVID, with increased anti-smoking legislation and tariffs on tobacco

Sydney lost its largest tobacconist, Sol Levy some years ago

Smoke wise living in Germany isn’t that bad. There’s still a tobacconist with some tobacco and pipes in the small town i live. Not far away in Cologne is one of the biggest pipe and cigar store of this county, “Pfeifen Heinrichs” called the House of 10000 Pipes. And about 25 kilometres is his second shop, with a broad range of tobaccos at affordable prices. And still there are online shops, small blenders, who do their own excellent work and wholesale like Dan Tobacco.

When I am in SA i am glad to get some of the Peterson Range. I can’t smoke the stuff they have over there. I tried several times.

Reactions: OzPiper