PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I have been trying for months to get some Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. It is held in high esteem in reviews by those who love pure Virginia. Finally, a week ago, I found some on Watch City and ordered three tins along with some Brown Flake. Anyway, it arrives and I pop the tin and while I know Sam Gawith is known for moist packing, I could almost wring out the juice from these flakes. I opened the tin, rubbed one flake out and let the whole kit-kaboodle sit and dry for a couple of hours. Loaded it in a cob and while it tasted good, it was still so wet I could hardly finish the bowl.
I know they still use the old equipment from over a hundred years ago, in their processing and it is done the "old way" but does anyone know why their tobacco is so wet??? Is there a reason they consistently do so?

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Im not sure why, but it probably has something to do with selling weight.
But, m a cynical type guy. :)
That said, it IS possible to smoke their flake right from the tin.
The key is.......relights.
Don't try to power through on a couple lights with a almost nonexistent ember. Light it and relight until it has a glowing ember. From then on it should smoke fine with some careful puffing.
In my opinion FVF tastes the best when its wet, maybe THATS why they do it. Anyways, keep at it!

grimpeur

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
I'm not so sure about the century-old equipment. I know that the SG snuff machinery is gone, and I could well believe not all of the pipe tobacco equipment made the transition...but I digress.

I've had the same experience with an SG flake: gave a few a twist long ways, easily visible liquid appeared.

I very much believe @Sig 's opinion: we're paying for very expensive water. It's a UK practice over a hundred years old. Once in awhile one can see listings on eBay for (empty) one-pound tins of St. Bruno from before WW II, with holes along the sides to give the tobacco a fighting chance to become smokeable, I suppose. Most of the old packaging said "weight sold subject to loss" or some such.

I don't care: I need my SG/GH fix, regularly!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
because that's how they do it. I know that if they're using older recipes and practices tobacco was packed wetter because before more modern packaging, shipping, and additives it would be mummy dust by the time it got to the consumer. Or at least that's what I've just assumed. Older recipes really seem to be a lot wetter then more modern iterations. Much more brine heavy.

Reactions: Choatecav

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Tradition. Tradition, mate. Is the pipe Polish? Although we all know he's an Argentine, "Is the pipe Argentine?" doesn't sound as good as "Polish". Tradition.

On more practical side, I would wait till it's dry to smoke it. I mean testing to make sure it's dry. Also I would use my System pipes. Probably something big to handle the moisture.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
A guy just did a review of the stuff, and he left it out for an hour in 90-degree heat before he even put in the bowl and lit it. He found it very enjoyable though.

Reactions: JOHN72

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
As I was typing the previous comment, a bar appeared that read something to the effect of:
There are new posts. Click here.

I did not Click here but learned that I probably should, immediately after clicking Post reply.
It's an old joke from 80s when Pope John Paul II was.. Chosen. Not sure what the term is. It was 1978? He was the first non-Italian pope in forever. So when someone says something unbelievable, people would say "is the Pope Polish or what?"

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
My most recent technique is to tear off a chunk of moist flake across the grain, sort of fold it, stuff it in hard, three charring lights, let it rest a couple of minutes, then go for it. Relight as required. Brutal. Great flavours though, must be the Holy water.

"Does the Pope shit in the woods? Is the bear Catholic?" was the old saying (or "does the bear drink wine?").

jagsdriver

Lurker
Jun 13, 2024
Vancouver Island BC
I have been trying for months to get some Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. It is held in high esteem in reviews by those who love pure Virginia. Finally, a week ago, I found some on Watch City and ordered three tins along with some Brown Flake. Anyway, it arrives and I pop the tin and while I know Sam Gawith is known for moist packing, I could almost wring out the juice from these flakes. I opened the tin, rubbed one flake out and let the whole kit-kaboodle sit and dry for a couple of hours. Loaded it in a cob and while it tasted good, it was still so wet I could hardly finish the bowl.
I know they still use the old equipment from over a hundred years ago, in their processing and it is done the "old way" but does anyone know why their tobacco is so wet??? Is there a reason they consistently do so?
I have ordered many bulk packs of
Over the years I have ordered many bulk packs of FVF. I get small canning jars, fill them with the tobacco and put them in a 200 degree oven and stove them for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and put the lids on to seal them. I have many years/vintages and enjoying them ten years later. Give it a try.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I have ordered many bulk packs of

Over the years I have ordered many bulk packs of FVF. I get small canning jars, fill them with the tobacco and put them in a 200 degree oven and stove them for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and put the lids on to seal them. I have many years/vintages and enjoying them ten years later. Give it a try.
That sounds like an interesting approach. Thanks.

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
it should be noted that British pipe smokers traditionally smoke tobacco damp and tightly packed. It's the way I was taught in the 60's. We used to keep a slice of Apple in our batch pouch
Except with Scots, the old joke went. If it was their own, it was too loosely packed to stay lit, if it was someone else's, it was packed so tight they couldn't get a draw.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
it should be noted that British pipe smokers traditionally smoke tobacco damp and tightly packed. It's the way I was taught in the 60's. We used to keep a slice of Apple in our batch pouch
Hearing from you fellas in the British Isles has been of interest to me. I did not know that the traditional British pipe smoker was brought up on more moist tobaccos. Good stuff to know and it does bring it into clarity.
That said..... I'm gonna continue to dry it out as much as I can. :col:

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Judging by the title of this thread, I was expecting more. Since my first encounter with FVF, I've often wondered if it could be wrung out in a vise or something similar. Momentarily thought someone had actually done it. I love the taste of FVF. I dry it for days, not hours or minutes. Sometimes it's worth doing, sometimes not. I like the stoving idea, above. Might try it next time. SG should have a warning on the tin, rather than the useless cancer crap: This shit won't burn!