Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
As some of you know, I have my own blend that I have smoked for some 40 years, named appropriately enough, Telescopes, under my own brand name of KBN-3989. All the names of my various blends are found on our families QSL Card from the early 60s. Along with Telescopes, I also have a Lazy Bones, EZ1, EZ2, EZ3 as well as The Doctor's Own Blend.

Lazy Bones is a mix of Lane RLP-6, Maryland, Turkish, and Sutliff Black Cherry, #23. The newest blend I am working on is a mix of Telescopes (heavy on BCA) and my Doctor's Own Blend, which adds Latakia and Perique in the same proportions as John Dengler's Black Maria.

For my newest blend, I am proposing the following:

4 oz Lane RLP-6. 25%
4 oz BCA. 25%
1 oz Maryland. 6%
1 oz Turkish. 6%
4 oz Latakia. 25%
2 oz Perique. 12%

I would very much like to hear your thoughts and suggestions. My focus area is increasing the amount of Virginia and possibly decreasing the BCA and replacing it with Green River Cavendish. But I am uncertain where to cut or add. Your experienced thoughts are welcomed. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
What's a family QSL card?

And explain KBN-3989?

QSL card

Ham radio operators and people with CB radios used to mail these cards as confirmation of have made contact with each other. The KBN-3989 were call letters associated with one’s radio license. I got mine in the mid-’70s, but had KAZP as my first four letters (I suspect three letter combos ran out by the time I applied for my license). I used to trade cards around the world for a short time.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
What's a family QSL card?

And explain KBN-3989?
QSL card

Ham radio operators and people with CB radios used to mail these cards as confirmation of have made contact with each other. The KBN-3989 were call letters associated with one’s radio license. I got mine in the mid-’70s, but had KAZP as my first four letters (I suspect three letter combos ran out by the time I applied for my license). I used to trade cards around the world for a short time.
Yes, that is exactly with it is.Photo on 8-16-24 at 10.52 AM.jpgA facsimile of the card is on my jar pictured above. I simply circle the words of the blend that is kept in the jar and add a date and I then know which blend is in the jar. My father's blend is Lazy Bones - seen on the other side of the jar (not pictured here). My mother was EZ1. For the Doctor's Own Blend, I simply circle my name.

These blends are all family blends that have been smoked by my family for decades - using the QSL card was a way to combine memories.image000000-9.jpgimage000000-8.jpg

The two pictures above are of my dad - a long time pipe smoker and a CB enthusiast from way back. If the background to the right of his radio, a blue face Pacer, are some of the many QSL cards he received in the mail. The last picture is him, in our family home in 1963, smoking his pipe with his dog, Sparky, on his leg. He still uses the same ashtray pictured in the picture with his radio. I have the table lamp and radio.

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey