PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I have a pipe that I truly love, a Ferndown two star bulldog, but it has a flaw: the tenon is shorter than the mortise. A while back I tried to fix this by putting pipe mud in the mortise to eliminate the airspace. This worked insofar as it stopped the gurgling, but I think it's affecting the flavor of anything I smoke in this pipe. It all tastes a little "ashey." I'm debating on whether to replace the pipe mud with wood putty, but I'm wondering if that will cause more problems than it fixes. Has anyone tried this? Is there a "fix" for a tenon that is too short?

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I like that idea.... however, I forgot to mention that, also, the drill holes do not align. If I use something like this it will likely seal off the stem altogether. That's why I used pipe mud. I inserted a cleaner into the bowl packed a little mud into the mortise, and then threaded the stem onto the cleaner and pressed it in. This ensued a straight passageway from the bowl through the stem. I wonder, if I used your method, if I could chamfer one side of the pin...?

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
I believe @sittingbear has a mortise and draft duct hole angle problem.
I try to explain better,
probably during the design phase the draft duct angle coincided with the tenon hole with the right depth of the mortise ...
But, in the execution phase, the mortise hole went too deep, this created the space.
Due to the angles mentioned above, this space must necessarily be filled in the mortise with the same drilling angle as the draft hole, because if we lengthen the tenon (central hole) with its thickness we go to obstruct the hole.
Probably a situation like this:
IMG_20200125_012606.jpg

can be solved with patience in this way:

IMG_20200125_012516.jpg
IMG_20200125_012654.jpgIMG_20200125_013354.jpg
...Sorry my bad English

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I believe @sittingbear has a mortise and draft duct hole angle problem.
I try to explain better,
probably during the design phase the draft duct angle coincided with the tenon hole with the right depth of the mortise ...
But, in the execution phase, the mortise hole went too deep, this created the space.
Due to the angles mentioned above, this space must necessarily be filled in the mortise with the same drilling angle as the draft hole, because if we lengthen the tenon (central hole) with its thickness we go to obstruct the hole.
Probably a situation like this:
View attachment 137393

can be solved with patience in this way:

View attachment 137394
View attachment 137395View attachment 137396
...Sorry my bad English
That looks like it would work... is that a pin, as you mentioned before? How did you drill that so precisely?

Mar 1, 2014
You're better off leaving the space open, trying to fill the gap will just make a trap for moisture and bacteria, you're going to need to sterilize all components after every day that it's smoked, not to mention I can't imagine mortise-gap insert being beneficial in the first place.

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
That looks like it would work... is that a pin, as you mentioned before? How did you drill that so precisely?
I detected the angle by inserting a rod into the draft hole, closed the horizontal pin in the bench vise and replicated the angle with a hand drill. If the cylinder is not the right size by inserting it by pressure, it may be that a little deposit forms in the spaces, in this case a dental hardening resin can be useful. It is also true that you can smoke safely leaving a space between tenon and mortise, like smoking without a filter,or with the reducer, but even here there are deposits and cleaning is necessary. I do it for a craze of mine, moreover with accentuated angles I have no problem folding pipe cleaners for a "hot" cleaning. Different opinions and theories about it.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
You're better off leaving the space open, trying to fill the gap will just make a trap for moisture and bacteria, you're going to need to sterilize all components after every day that it's smoked, not to mention I can't imagine mortise-gap insert being beneficial in the first place.
The problem I had with the gap is that it trapped moisture like a bucket. It became a very wet smoke....

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I detected the angle by inserting a rod into the draft hole, closed the horizontal pin in the bench vise and replicated the angle with a hand drill. If the cylinder is not the right size by inserting it by pressure, it may be that a little deposit forms in the spaces, in this case a dental hardening resin can be useful. It is also true that you can smoke safely leaving a space between tenon and mortise, like smoking without a filter,or with the reducer, but even here there are deposits and cleaning is necessary. I do it for a craze of mine, moreover with accentuated angles I have no problem folding pipe cleaners for a "hot" cleaning. Different opinions and theories about it.
That's amazing work! I'm only wondering if it would be easier to build up something around the rod in the draft hole. I don't trust my fine motor skills and feel I don't have the right tools for fine craftsmanship like that! Hence the wood putty idea... However, it may be worth a shot!

Reactions: Ag®o