PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Seems like the inevitable result of this will be don't smoke outside if it is windy.
Only if you can't figure out how do it, comfortably. I love a stormy day, rain, wind and all. As a younger man nothing would keep my indoors. But, age has dulled my enthusiasm a bit so, major storms I enjoy from the warmth of house or vehicle. Still, smoking in the wind only takes a bit of thought and adjustment for the most part.

Highlandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2023
Clynder, Argyll & Bute, G84 0QX
It's very windy sometimes here in Idaho, and makes it hard to enjoy a good smoke. Alas, the only places I can enjoy a smoke is either 1) outside
2) in a car

I'm not always in a car and my family has taken to after-dinner walks where I enjoy a smoke. Some days though are so windy the ash will blow into my face and make the bowl too hot.

Are the wind screens my only option?
Afternoon friend, I asked a similar question a couple of months ago, link below. Might be useful it definitely educated me
Regards

.https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/outdoor-smoking.96291/

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Something that I learned from the movie The Lighthouse, is that you can flip your pipe upside down. Wind nearly always blows at either a downwards diagonal so by flipping your pipe, you're minimizing wind contact on your chamber. Nice part is too, is that ash will will out periodically rather than in one flurry of grey.
What a great revelation! I can't wait to try this.

Snowy_Cryptid

Lurker
Apr 17, 2023
Canada
Yes to windcaps, shielding with the hand or body, walking downwind, and using folded flakes. puffy

Dense tobacco will fare well with more oxygen. Flakes can sometimes need a stronger light than looser, thinner cuts. Just be wary that the ember does not get out of control. It also takes longer to put them out.

Some pipes will come with their own caps or shields, better yet if they open and close easily by pressing or turning them with a finger. Tsuge has the Thunderstorm line with a shield that twists around the bowl in a corkscrew type motion. Rattray's has their Helmet line that features a windcap with a hinge. I can't comment on whether they work well, but the design is interesting. These two types of solutions appear to be a bit more convenient than the cheap ones that require you to "pinch" two handles inward to pull out of the bowl. They can also have sharp edges on the "arms," so be mindful if you are worried about keeping the chamber walls - or cake if you prefer that - totally free from any scratches.

As for lighting, oldboy style lighters and matches are hardly usable in gusty conditions. You will very likely need to shield the pipe with your hand and turn your body away from the heaviest wind if you want a soft flame, although I can't personally comment on zippos. It sounds like they are relatively windproof.

Finally, use caution with a briar piece if burnout could be a possibility. Some chunks of burl are hardier than others. Because it's an organic material with considerable variation, you should be ready to reduce the ember or snuff out if it's heating up too much. If a corncob bowl burns out, you can probably find a replacement without much fuss. If a prized Dunhill burns out, that's probably a different story.

Reactions: seanv

JTld

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2023
Malaysia
Something that I learned from the movie The Lighthouse, is that you can flip your pipe upside down. Wind nearly always blows at either a downwards diagonal so by flipping your pipe, you're minimizing wind contact on your chamber. Nice part is too, is that ash will will out periodically rather than in one flurry of grey.
Wow! No Way! That's cool! Does it really work??!!??

Reactions: The Clay King

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@fishmansf I'll have to try smoking my clay pipe upside down; but wouldn't the baccy drop out???

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
You might try a meerschaum as there's no risk of burnout on a windy day, although the already recommended windcap would certainly help. If you combine the two you could probably smoke while skydiving without any problem.

Reactions: Snowy_Cryptid

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I've experimented with wind caps but I never found them very useful. Maybe it's just because I have cheapo ones but they also seem to bend easily. Glad to hear flakes are one effective solution to wind. Next time it rains I'll just have some PS Luxury Navy Flake