PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Copperhead

Lurker
Jun 4, 2024
Whenever I smoke outside, and I do quite often in open areas, my pipe seems to always get hot and my smoking time seems greatly reduced on breezy or windy days.

I rarely ever have problems with hot pipes except under these circumstances.

Is this a natural action of air getting pulled through the pipe? Is a pipe cap specifically used to keep ashes and embers from flying out? Or will it help in this situation?

I never have a problem with ashes and embers, either....it just seems like the wind makes the tobacco burn quicker? hotter?

I try to cradle my pipe in my hand with the mouthpiece against my forearm in an attempt to slow it down.

Reactions: Jacob74 and kcghost

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The problems in smoking your pipe outside and moving around all center around the wind. Wind greatly affects how your pipe burns and the amount of heat your pipe generates. Some people find a wind cap provides relief, but they don't work for me.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Wind caps can be useful in wind but I hate the cheap ones which you have to move in and out of the pipe as they become very hot and not comfortable to move in and out when hot. Much more user friendly are the pipes with caps built on you can open and close, I have a couple of them and works very well.
I would love to find a removable cap which open and close when put on the pipe, basically having a ring to which is attached the cap which open and close. Not found yet one but would be perfect

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Wind is the bane of my smoking experience, as well. It fans that ember to a much higher temperature and destroys flavor. I have one of those $3 spring-loaded wind caps, but I don't love using them. It's a lot of fiddling to get in there to relight or tamp, and the holes still admit a lot of wind. One guy suggested plugging up most of the holes with RTV, but I haven't gotten around to trying that yet.

Mostly I just clamp one hand over the bowl like this to block the wind. I don't recommend filling the chamber to the top if you do! puffy

cob_w_us.jpg

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
An Eltang Basic I bought this month came with one but I haven’t had a need to use it yet. If I have had to worry about wind in the past while outside or driving, I would use a meerschaum. I do not want to make a briar too hot and I know a meerschaum won’t burn out if the wind is relentless.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wind caps have a very limited usefulness when it's blowing more than, say 8-10 mph.

Clapping a small piece of wood- a matchbook will work- tightly over the rim works well. Just releasing the pressure will allow a draw, and it will stay in place.

Reactions: Jacob74

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Winds in Tassie?? Say it ain't so! :)

Have you tried what I suggest above?
Haha, ti's true, she blows. I haven't tried your method but just about everything else and the only solution I can find is to retreat indoors especially on days like we had on Monday. I do wonder how the old sailors managed up on deck working around the rigging. Maybe they just waited until below decks to enjoy a bowl.

Reactions: PaulRVA

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Haha, ti's true, she blows. I haven't tried your method but just about everything else and the only solution I can find is to retreat indoors especially on days like we had on Monday. I do wonder how the old sailors managed up on deck working around the rigging. Maybe they just waited until below decks to enjoy a bowl.
Do try it. Think you'll be pleased. Anything non-conductive clamped over the rim. Saves scorched fingers.

Reactions: VDL_Piper

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
It's constantly running a 10-15 mph wind where I live, and it's too damn warm to go lunting unless it's 4am, so I generally smoke in my smoking shed. I have some of those wind caps, but they don't do much for me.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In mild breezes, ok, they do something.
when there is a stiff breeze a cap combined with using ones hand to block the breeze work wonders. Though the worst wind I experienced when smoking burnt through two thirds of the bowl with the cap and pipe in my pocket. At least I smelled pretty nice that day.
Oh and I am convinced without thick cake I would have gotten a burn out that day. Freak rain storm that left half of me looking like it went swimming while leaving the other half out. :(

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I always smoke outside, and yes, the wind has a strong effect on the length of time my smoke lasts, and the way it tastes. I suppose NO wind would be best, but I like a gentle breeze, although even that has a noticeable effect. Before going out for my daily smoking-reading-run away from home session, I scout around my property to find the most agreeable spot.
I use removable windcaps only to carry my loaded pipes outside to keep from dumping them. For me, my pipe smokes much hotter with a windcap on.

Reactions: ThermionicScott