Will This Style Of Smoking Negatively Effect Cigars?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
When it comes to smoking cigars or pipes, I’ve never been one to keep them lit, in what are considered the average times to smoke them.

Pipes usually last me all day, and the common cigar vitolas last me days.

As a smoker, with pipes and cigars I’ve always been this way, taking puffs here and there throughout the day. Cigarettes are the only thing I’ve ever kept lit LOL 😆

I wanted to know, if someone is occasionally smoking a cigar, here and there though out the day, just a few puffs, let it go out, and come back to it at a later point in time…

Can this negatively effect the taste of the cigar in anyway? I’ve always wondered if that burnt ash, that’s now out sitting on the end of a cigar, if any of it could seep it’s way through a cigar sitting for hours and days cause an issue.

Or even the heat the fire produces going through the cigar, I would assume builds moisture, then you let the cigar go out, it drys out, and this constant up and and down with heat/moisture and drying out.

Hey, when it comes to inexpensive cigars, who cares, and I guess who cares when your pockets are fat, but seriously having very expensive cigars, and wanting the best out of them… hmm 🤔

THANKS

Reactions: JOHN72

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
A quality cigar will certainly not taste the same if smoked in one sitting vs several relights. If I was not intending to smoke a cigar to completion i would simply choose a smaller vitola. However, this effect may not be as noticeable in a lower end stick. This, to me, speaks more to the original flavor quality of said cigar. If you do what you do and enjoy yourself, no need to change anything. On the flip side, though, if you want to experience all the wonderful flavor a quality cigar has to offer, choose a small one and smoke to completion. The flavor that your money is spend on with premium sticks will certainly be diminished with relights. My $.02 on that.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I wonder if cutting the ash end off will help it some… hmm 🤔

I unfortunately like bigger vitolas for their richness, but for me, smoking a cigar in one go, isn’t my thing, that to me is just to much smoking. I just puff here and there.

Vitola isn’t the problem, because no matter how small, I only take a few puffs and then come back at a later time, and it’s still going to go out. Of course a very small cigar I would end up finishing it in several hours, or half a day, rather then a few days with a bigger Vitola, but smaller sizes for me still aren’t going to stay lit and smoked in one session.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Do you keep your cigars well maintained like most? Humidity, temp, making sure things aren’t getting moldy, etc?

If so, it does seem counter intuitive to how you smoke. Go through all of that storage work to keep an optimal environment only to take a few puffs and set it out in the open for a few hours. On the other hand, if you just keep your cigars on a shelf, I’d imagine it’s not a huge drop off.

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Do you keep your cigars well maintained like most? Humidity, temp, making sure things aren’t getting moldy, etc?

If so, it does seem counter intuitive to how you smoke. Go through all of that storage work to keep an optimal environment only to take a few puffs and set it out in the open for a few hours. On the other hand, if you just keep your cigars on a shelf, I’d imagine it’s not a huge drop off.

Yes I am maintaining them…

It’s been a long time since I’ve smoked cigars as I mentioned. Here’s a pic I posted yesterday in the Cigar Ways, the one in the pic below, a AJ Fernandez Last Call Habano, I’ve been smoking occasionally since yesterday.

This Last Call doesn’t stay lit easy, goes out every few minutes. The cigars that stay lit easy aren so bad, but the ones that seem to need constant puffing to keep lit, are the ones I’m not puffing on all the time.

I don’t really enjoy constantly puffing, I just find it more enjoyable to smoke a cigar here and there through out the day. I’m an extremely slow pipe and cigar smoker, always have been.

Here’s my tupperdor, with a cedar lining and shavings and a few boveda packs in it. It’s doing a really nice job maintaining the humidity.

image1.jpeg

@Bbailey324 I’ve actually smoked a lot of cigars in my past, and I typically did smoke them slow like this, sometimes for a few days. And a lot of the cigars I did smoke were higher end cigars too. I’ve honestly never had one taste bad like you described.

But I wanted to ask, since I’m getting more serious with it now.

Thanks

Last edited:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
It’s your cigar you bought it smoke it how you want, as far as taste even if you clip and purge the cigar before putting it down it’s going to start tasting stale and every time you hit the tobacco with a flake it’s going to change and i wouldn’t say for the better. Not sure why you’d start a cigar if you only are taking a couple puffs, you have cigarettes and a pipe, see,s like a waste of money. You might want to just fine some minueto or club cigars and smoke those, they are cigarette sized cigars and will save you money.

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
It’s your cigar you bought it smoke it how you want, as far as taste even if you clip and purge the cigar before putting it down it’s going to start tasting stale and every time you hit the tobacco with a flake it’s going to change and i wouldn’t say for the better. Not sure why you’d start a cigar if you only are taking a couple puffs, you have cigarettes and a pipe, see,s like a waste of money. You might want to just fine some minueto or club cigars and smoke those, they are cigarette sized cigars and will save you money.
Used to get 10-packs of tiny Cohibas, they were quite nice. Not that cigars are my thing, particularly.

Reactions: PipeIT and jbfrady

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
Know your cigars! You should learn the amount of time it takes you to smoke the different size
cigars you like. It will only take a short time to know just about the time it will take you to smoke a corona vs a robusto vs a Toro and so on. Before you light one up, consider if you have enough time to finish it. Because once it dies out, unless you relight it within minutes, within an hour, or so, it will never be the same. Ya! you can relight it several hours later or even the next day, but it will not be same and in most cases, it will be a terrible smoke. It is what it is!

Reactions: PipeIT