PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I agree with no cell phones in cars for talking and especially texting.

But with all the new no smoking rules, in public places etc, i just wonder how long it will be until someone comes up with the idea that smoking while driving endangers the driver, occupants or public; just another way to alienate smokers more

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
This has already been suggested in some countries, and discussed here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/smoking-ban-in-cars-uk-a-step-too-far
Edit: moved to Tobacco Legislation. M

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
I believe they tried something like that in the UK recently but I may be wrong.

They do however have something like that here in Ontario. Pretty terrible of them to think they have the right to dictate what people do but if you're smoking in a car (a home as well I think) with anybody under 16 in it you get a ticket and a fine.

alamowest

Lurker
Nov 18, 2011
In Kalifornia you are not permitted to smoke when a minor (someone under the age of 18) is also in the vehicle.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I didn't know that about smoking with under age kids in the car in California. I agree to a certain extent, little kids don't get to make decisions about these things and we ought to assume caution for the benefits of their health.
I think when they ban smoking in cars, though ... I will just have to break the law.
I propose the "No Smoking within 10 feet of your face" law. Sounds reasonable.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I think the answer to your question is probably yes..Their thinking in banning phones is they distract your attention away from driving.One could take this reasoning to extremes.Maybe they will ban smoking and then scratching your butt while driving.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I will smoke in MY car!! Want to see Road Rage, let me get stuck in a traffic jam without my pipe!! I would go ballistic!!!

Calm down, put the pistol back under the arm rest, crack a "road beer" from the cooler behind your seat and relax it'll be ok. 8O

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I paid for my car, I pay the insurance for my car, and I pay for a license to drive my car! I will smoke in MY car!!

+1

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
If not mistaken, I think that a law against smoking with minors in the car in Arkansas is also on the books now.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Same here Paul. I don't even smoke a pipe or cigar in the car if the wife or anyone else is with me...... out of courtesy. That and the wife says it's too strong in the car.
She doesn't show me the same courtesy though with her cig smoking.
I also don't smoke in others homes, even when they say it's ok, unless it's a buddies home and he is smoking as well.
But that being said, if they were to make it law that you couldn't smoke in your own vehicle would only Pi** me off even more.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I can't help but notice that any time some crackpot idea bothers me, it generally started on the Left Coast. I'm sure there must be some reasonable gentlemen in California, but I cannot imagine living there myself.

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
I have no doubt that a ban on smoking in cars is coming and it may be a Federal law that will have to be complied with by all states if they wish to receive Federal highway funds (blackmail as usual). The Texas legislature has just instituted a "smoking differentail" that all Texas government employees and retired people must pay if they are to continue to receive state benefits. Its gonna be like "prohibition" folks. Remember Elliot Ness?

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
'Tis a minimum $1k fine here if there are kids in the car under the age of 17yo, which I find completely fair and reasonable - wtf right do we smokers have to inflict our habit on them in such an enclosed space. Then again, wtf right to those AH's have to stop me from smoking in my own car if I am alone - I guess every right in the event I drop a cigarette, cigar or pipe contents in my lap whilst driving and kill the family coming towards me.
If you're behind the wheel, then that's all you should be doing, driving!!! However that damn addiction of mine prevents me from adhering to my own thoughts on the topic.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I paid for my car, I pay the insurance for my car, and I pay for a license to drive my car! I will smoke in MY car!!
+2!
Smokey

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I cannot smoke in my open top Jeep with the kids in it either, in the Great State of Louisiana.

Status
Not open for further replies.