PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
I was asked that today. I didn't have a good answer. Boredom? Something to do? I answered that like most things I start, the idea of it appealed to me. Something not a lot of people do. I started this spring when I was traveling for work and had too much free time on my hands.. got to looking at pipes and such on the internet. I'm a LOTR fan, but after buying a big churchwarden, found that I don't like them too much. I prefer lighter shorter pipes. After some self reflection, I still don't have a good answer as to why I'm smoking a pipe. For now I'm going to fall back on "something to do/boredom repellant". --shrug--

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
It makes me look cool! :)

Actually I got started after years of cigar smoking. An old codger on the "Cigar Geek" forum gave me the idea.
I was in a bit of a slump with the cigars and wanted something to spice up my taste buds.
The only memory of pipe smoking I had was my friends dad smoking Captain Black in 2 dirty, stinky pipes.
But Larry, the guy on the forum smoked both cigars and pipes....who knew you could do both?
Before long I had 100 pipes and about 60 pounds of cellared tobacco.
For a few years I completely stopped smoking cigars. I currently smoke MAYBE one cigar a month.
But, when I stopped smoking cigars in about 2010, I had a bunch of cigars in 3 humidors. I've been keeping the humidors going for all these years. I still have about 50, very aged cigars.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I was asked that today. I didn't have a good answer. Boredom? Something to do? I answered that like most things I start, the idea of it appealed to me. Something not a lot of people do. I started this spring when I was traveling for work and had too much free time on my hands.. got to looking at pipes and such on the internet. I'm a LOTR fan, but after buying a big churchwarden, found that I don't like them too much. I prefer lighter shorter pipes. After some self reflection, I still don't have a good answer as to why I'm smoking a pipe. For now I'm going to fall back on "something to do/boredom repellant". --shrug--
All the cool, smart people smoke pipes throughout history. Its a select group. :col:

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I smoked cigars occasionally before trying pipes and never really found the flavor of most cigars satisfactory. I heard pipe tobacco described as "mellow and sweet" and that appealed to me, so I got a cob and some Captain Black, and loved it. Now I smoke mostly non-aromatics - go figure.

Why do I continue to smoke? I just like trying new tobaccos and think pipes are cool. A good bowl is a nice accent to my leisure time and is an indulgence which leaves me clear-headed and fully functional, yet relaxed.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like nicotine and in the late '80s it was easier to stick a lit pipe in a shirt pocket than a cigarette when teachers walked into the high-school restroom.

Reactions: warren

Home Brewing Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I don't honestly know. My dad smoked a pipe when i was an infant and chewed when I was a kid. I had zero desire. 40 years later, I decided it was something I wanted to do. I never smoked or chewed. I just wanted to smoke a pipe. I enjoy it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Pipke

Lurker
Aug 3, 2024
Chardon, Ohio. USA
Have had a on-and-off relationship with tobacco since I was 12. Haven't had tobacco in 9 years. Then I was going through my deceased parents stuff and opened the box with my father's modest pipe collection. I've never smoked a pipe. Been looking at them for a year, and ya know... I'm going to clean these up and smoke 'em! I love smoking a pipe!

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
If you have money to burn I suppose that's as good an answer as any. Might I ask? Did you make a stab at weighing risk versus return?
I'd guess that I'm at a higher risk than some for the health implications. Both my parents have battled cancer. Both won their battles. I usually only smoke on weekends and sometimes I skip a weekend, although it was a 2 bowl day today... one Lane Verry Cherry and one RLP-6. Sat there for an hour and watched the birds eat the money I poured into their bird feeder. LOL

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
I wanted to help my wife quit smoking cigarettes, she was pregnant with our son. She was quitting cold turkey so I thought I would quit so I wouldn’t be a temptation. Well she made it ok but I didn’t last two days, I had to have something to satisfy my oral gratification I guess. The nicotine never seemed to be an issue. I bought a Dr. Grabow pipe and some drug store pipe tobacco and just began trying different tobaccos and it became an adventure.

Reactions: OverMountain

gkunkel

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2014
Pipes always appealed to me and I liked the idea of being different as a young guy at the time

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpeg
    IMG_0537.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 0