PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Any day of the week you can find an old Dunhill kicking around. You can find REALLY old Dunhills, Kaywoodies, BBBs, whatever. Maybe my premise is false but I rarely see Peterson pipes from the 70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, (etc). Or at least it seems like there should be more of them. I’ve seen them but it seems rare. Why? I’m anticipating people saying I’m wrong on this. Is this a perception with any truth to it?

Reactions: LeafErikson

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
At one time, smokers burned their pipes with little maintenance until they could go no more and they tossed them and bought another. May be the case but I often see old Petersons on ebay, even the meerschaum and bog oak ones.

Reactions: Deano and milk

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I have noted the same thing. I have had an eye out for a well-aged 999 for years, but they seem to hold their value well.

Reactions: milk

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Any day of the week you can find an old Dunhill kicking around. You can find REALLY old Dunhills, Kaywoodies, BBBs, whatever. Maybe my premise is false but I rarely see Peterson pipes from the 70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, (etc). Or at least it seems like there should be more of them. I’ve seen them but it seems rare. Why? I’m anticipating people saying I’m wrong on this. Is this a perception with any truth to it?

My Daddy owned 300 acres of his own farmland and rented another 170 acres. He was a farmer, all of his life. He owned three tractors and all the equipment to farm with, two homes, a truck and a car.

Daddy had exactly one tool box.

In that tool box was a set of 3/8” sockets, and one 3/8” socket wrench.

When he wore out or broke a socket he’d take it to the local Western Auto and they’d exchange him another one.

If my father had smoked a Peterson pipe, he’d have bought a pipe and worn it out, and bought another one.

I don’t really need, but one tool box.

I have so many tools in so many tool boxes I cannot estimate how many.

Same goes for my pipes.:)

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
They are out there. Just have to look.

I’ve not had a problem finding them. If you’re a bargain hunter it’s tough sledding. They definitely hold their value.
I think you’re right. The ones I’ve seen are expensive. I’m just surprised they don’t show up more. Didn’t they make as many pipes as Dunhill did? Samuel Clemens smoked one. They seem like they were popular. But yeah, I’ve seen some expensive ones.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That's because @ashdigger has cornered the market. 😄