PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Runfoxrun

Lurker
Jun 2, 2024
Prince shaped pipes have always been my favorite and I’m trying to get on someone’s wait list for a commission. There are tons of talented carvers out there these days but the thing is I wouldn’t know exactly what I would tell them to make me.

I feel like I would know it when I see it and could tell them “just like this one in a group 5 size”
So who does that shape best?

Last edited by a moderator:

greysmoke

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
South Coatesville, PA
www.greysmoke.com
Well, you’ve rattled my cage.

Look at the bottom two pipes in the picture. They’re in a design that I created myself in 1997, laboring for hours to fulfill the idea of a Prince mated to a Canadian shank: I call it a Canadian Prince.

The hard part was what to do with the traditional prince shank and stem, which often have a gentle curve. Ultimately what I figured was to use a slightly more angular bowl shape. That made an oval, straight stem shape work better.

I must have looked at hundreds of executions of the Prince shape on eBay and the web in general. Finally, a friend who maintained a website that sold pipes shared a picture of a Prince by Ashton that nailed the bowl shape I wanted. He told me it was based on an early Dunhill Prince. Unfortunately he wouldn’t part with his Ashton, but he sent more pictures and took some measurements.

My first commission was the natural finished one made in 1998 by Paul Bonaquisti in his “Ruvido” rusticated finish.

The second commission is the black stained pipe made in 2015 of so by Bill Boyle.

(The other four Prince shapes in the picture are, top to bottom: ‘69 Dunhill Bruyere with shank repair, Christopher Askwith, Ben Wade, and Peterson.)

1720925372969.jpeg

I suggest looking at every Prince shape you can find and — once you see one that rings the bell — ask a reputable carver to re-interpret the shape for you. Don’t demand a duplicate, just find some inspiration for a talented carver.

FWIW. It’s getting late, but I can share better pictures tomorrow if you’d like.

Runfoxrun

Lurker
Jun 2, 2024
When convenient I would love to see more pics. Got any side profile shots of the Canadians?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
As much as I love my Savinelli 313, I won't put it forward as a particularly "correct" Prince. The widest part of the bowl is a little too low, and the shank is angled up slightly from the bowl, where I think it "should" be more or less perpendicular. I think they're most appealing when the bowl is a gently-squashed sphere, and the stem isn't bent too much.

@Dutch Pipe Smoker Arno wrote a great blog post about the Prince shape, and of his examples, I feel like the Loewe, GBD New Standard, and the two army-mount Dunhills are the closest to the ideal form: The Prince of Pipes | Dutch Pipe Smoker - https://dutchpipesmoker.com/2013/02/11/the-prince-of-pipes/

There are a lot of Dunhill Princes I think look ugly as all get out, but they kinda owned the name, so this post is mostly personal opinion.

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
The new limited edition Petersons do it for me (Caroll of Carollton 2024) . Sadly, for us in the UK, they're all Stateside.

I see they're now described as "demi-Churchwarden". Wtf?

Last edited:

Runfoxrun

Lurker
Jun 2, 2024
Those numbers and models are so helpful. Keep it up folks. Love that “Bowler” especially . It would be great to find some estates beat to hell but restorable so I could afford several.

I still think I’m going to have to commission since I like large pipes and all the princes tend to be what seems to me tiny. I also like light rustic finishes and bands so that’s a unicorn of a factory model find.

For pics here’s my side table currently.

Love the shape of this black Hi-Lander which I’m not as familiar with but says Sasieni made 238 on the stamp. Perfect rendition in my opinion but it’s sized sub-optimal for me.

The fancy stem one is a Savinelli 315ex. I am a capri root addict and had never seen a fancy stem on one so had to grab it. Can anyone confirm the stem could be original? No stomp but could have been sanded off in restoration. That 315 ex size is perfect for me bowl wise but needs a proportionate length stem to be just right which would make it one of those newly coined “Demi wardens” I guess. 7” would be better for me anyway.

In the back is a Savinelli 811. It seems like it could be the love child of a “Canadian prince” and a billiard. I really appreciate that sweeping shape.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpeg
    IMG_0109.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 13