PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Here's the story... I was deep cleaning all of my pipes. They were getting gross. Most of them are very old. I managed to chip the rim of this one while in the process... one of my all time favorites. I was so upset, I nearly threw the pipe away (yeah, I can get get a bit emotional about these things LOL). Then I thought "why not have a new bowl made"? I got some leads, but none of them could pull of an exact replica. So I thought... I might as well try to repair it myself. I am comfortable repairing briar pipes, but not old meers so much. Bottom line is that I topped it some. I did not have to take much off really. To do so, I sanded it with various grits 220, then 400, then 600. Finally, I put it ever so gently on to my buffer. This is the end result... Not what it was, but I will live with it. I do love this pipe (still angry with myself about injuring this one!) ...

IMG_5175.jpegIMG_5173.jpeg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Looks great to me. I too was wondering why a new pipe made and was really curious who could craft a meer bowl, other than reaching out to one of the meer purveyors and having them make a bowl, and the rest of the pipe, if it was just for the bowl you'd have to send them the pipe to craft a bowl that fit correctly and that seems like it would be costly and time consuming with more than one try. Looks great to me and yes that's what i would have done, just top it once you said what the problem was. In a few weeks you'll never notice the difference.

Reactions: Humblepipe

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Here's the story... I was deep cleaning all of my pipes. They were getting gross. Most of them are very old. I managed to chip the rim of this one while in the process... one of my all time favorites. I was so upset, I nearly threw the pipe away (yeah, I can get get a bit emotional about these things LOL). Then I thought "why not have a new bowl made"? I got some leads, but none of them could pull of an exact replica. So I thought... I might as well try to repair it myself. I am comfortable repairing briar pipes, but not old meers so much. Bottom line is that I topped it some. I did not have to take much off really. To do so, I sanded it with various grits 220, then 400, then 600. Finally, I put it ever so gently on to my buffer. This is the end result... Not what it was, but I will live with it. I do love this pipe (still angry with myself about injuring this one!) ...

View attachment 323313View attachment 323314
You did a great job on it! I don't think any of us would've noticed if you showed this as the original photo. If I had to put forward a name I'd go with the Kansas guys, either @georged or @RustiePyles CPG.