PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I have a cheap butner type reamer now; it's flimsy and I think the rivets are on the verge of letting go. I want to upgrade to a better one and am wondering which is better as there are several to choose from. Seems that the butners are suited more for "V" shaped bowls and most of what I have are more cylindrical. I've been thing a Senior reamer but the Castleford might be a good choice, too? There are proably others I don't even know of, too, so I'm looking for suggestions and whys please.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Castleford is all I have used but I would definitely recommend it. There are a few threads about reamers on here somewhere.

mikey

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
Philip, thanks for that video! I want to save a few pipes I bought on Ebay but, I'm stil afraid to start the project. Everytime I get info like that I get a little braver; thanks!

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I have used a Senior reamer for years but after watching that video I think I will get a Buttner as well.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I've never used a Butner but have the Senor and the Castleford set. I use the Castleford 90% of the time. Weezels pipes presented a challenge to me as neither of those two fit his XL Charatan and no-name English, that was a first.
Here are a couple of interesting essays on reamers:

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2012/08/11/i-guess-i-collect-pipe-reamers/
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2012/08/24/do-i-need-to-ream-my-pipe/

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
There is a fifteen minute YouTube video called pipe reamer shootout that compares the two types of reamers

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Good God why don't you guys post photos of your reamers? Heres mine:

051.jpg

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I use Senior and Buttner also. I prefer to use the Senior whenever possible as it feels easier to use.

My Buttner likes to fall apart a lot.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I use the Senior reamer for very thick cake.
If the cake is not so dense, I use my own tools: namely, wooden dowels of various circumferences wrapped with sandpaper.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I have a SENIOR. Have no idea what is best but I know mine works very well.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I use a dull pipe knife after every smoke. But, at times, more is needed, but rarely. When that is the case, I use my "KLEEN REEM". It is/was manufactured by W.J. Young Machinery Co., Inc. Peabody, Massachusetts.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.