PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hey everyone,
Just have a quick question! Could I get some recommendations for good pipe filters and how often one should exchange an old one with a new one.

I really appreciate the help!
P.S. I used the search bar but for whatever reason whenever I search, I don't get forum posts.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
It sort of depends on the pipe and the size of filters that it will take. I have a Brigham which takes a hard maple filter, Savinelli's that take balsa wood filters, then there are ones that will take 9mm filters which come from a variety of sources or 6mm filters.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
It sort of depends on the pipe and the size of filters that it will take. I have a Brigham which takes a hard maple filter, Savinelli's that take balsa wood filters, then there are ones that will take 9mm filters which come from a variety of sources or 6mm filters.
To expand upon what steyrshrek has already stated, filter life varies dependant on the material. With the wooden filters (Brigham, Sav.), you can get as many as thirty or fourty uses out of them, if you maintain them between smokes. With the paper filters (Dr. Grabow, Medico), I would replace them with each smoke (or, more likely not use them at all - but thats another story). As for the activated charcoal filters, I honestly can't tell you how many uses you can expect - I don't own any pipes that accept the 9mm size.
With that in mind, I prefer to use an absorbant wooden filter if I am going to use one at all. Being Canadian, Brigham rock-maple filters are the most readily available - however most 6mm filter pipes won't accept them readily. To modify the Brigham filter for a standard 6mm filter pipe, simply trim a couple of inches off the end, then tightly wrap foil around the body to bring the outer diameter up to size.

I prefer them to the Savinelli type or paper filters as the Brigham are drilled out, allowing me to swab my bowl mid-smoke with a pipe-cleaner without disassembling anything if the need arises...but, in all honesty, 19 out of 20 smokes are without any filter.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
For what its worth, I have pipes with no filter, brigham wood filter, paper filtered pipes, and 9mm types.

Until recently I would have said the Brigham pipe wood filter system was my favourite but a bought a Lorenzetti pipe that has a 9mm filter in it and that pipe is easily my favourite pipe now. Can't say its the filter system or the brand of pipe but there it is....good luck

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Marketing pioneer Daniel Boone Savinelli with an early focus group​

QuotedSavinelli.jpg

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I do not use filters much in my corn cobs. But when I do the medico ones are fine, I chop each one into three as you don't really need the full size. I just like it because it stops ash coming through.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
You can substitute all filters to take a Balsa Wood filter. 6mm as in cobs, grabows, medico's etc, will accept the Balsa filter, 9mm paper and or charcoal can also be substituted with the 9mm Balsa Wood filter. Paper is gross and the balsa filters can also be rinsed out and allowed to dry the same way as the rockmaple ones.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The paper filter can get nasty, but you just take it out and throw it away. No messing around with washing and drying the blooming things! I converted my Brigham to use a paper filter just for that reason. At 10 cents each or less,I'll stick with the paper.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Most of my pipes do not use filters, but I have pipes that use all three types mentioned. While filters are not necessary I think they help with some pipes and some tobaccos.
The 9mm filters and the Savinelli 6mm balsa filters I replace after each smoke. The Brigham wood filters I will reuse 20 - 30 times, but I do have to make sure they are clean and dry each time.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
The health benefits would be negligible. You are not inhaling the pipe smoke anyway so it should not matter much. Just keep your mouth fresh and brush twice daily. They are not worth using really.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Thanks guys I really wasn't even ire of their exact purpose until now but it seems as of majority of people go without and you all seem fine!

Ill save myself a penny and go without. I can always change my mind.

Does not using the filter affect the pipes health at all?

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
I'm using 9mm balsa filters for all my filtered pipes. They offer nice draw without any change in the drawing charcerstics, and no change in the taste and falvour, also more economic than 9mm charcoal filters.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I just like it because it stops ash coming through
I dont use filter in any of my pipes but I may try one in a few of them now. I hate sucking the burning crap at the end of a bowl clear to my throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.