PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Briar Lee: Do you know where the video was filmed of the fife and drum band?
No, but again the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the Daughters of the Confederacy get all the ink and glory, while those of us descended from the victorious Yankees are seldom heard about.

But there are the Sons of Union Vete

It was likely one of their functions.

Reactions: kj27

Staggerlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2021
Clearwater Florida
I read somewhere many years ago that the first cigarette was made by a Turkish soldier. The story said that he had his pipe shot out of his mouth so he rolled his tobacco up in one of his cartridge papers. I don’t know how true it is though.
Also being a good southerner I am prone to believe that when those damn Yankees ran out of tobacco they just smoked or chewed whatever their horses dropped on the ground. Hence the term “ Shit eatin yankee” ???

Reactions: Piping Rooster

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I read somewhere many years ago that the first cigarette was made by a Turkish soldier. The story said that he had his pipe shot out of his mouth so he rolled his tobacco up in one of his cartridge papers. I don’t know how true it is though.
Also being a good southerner I am prone to believe that when those damn Yankees ran out of tobacco they just smoked or chewed whatever their horses dropped on the ground. Hence the term “ Shit eatin yankee” ???
It might surprise you, to know that even today among the sons of Argyll the regular Confederate troops are not hated.

When captured Confederate troops were offered full protection of the laws of war, without exception.

But may God have mercy on a Jayhawker or Bushwhacker, for my ancestors did not.

Reactions: Staggerlee

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My great uncle by marriage, James Willard Schultz, went west as a teenager, with his parents' blessing, to keep him out of trouble in his Adirondack town in New York. He wrote about a dozen books about growing up with the Blackfoot; he learned the language, lived and hunted with them for years, married and had a son with a Blackfoot bride, and advocated for their rights with the U.S. Congress. But to the point, he wrote about regular recreational pipe smoking with his Blackfoot hunting companions, not just ceremonial pipes. It was a regular part of their resting after the hunt. Check out Schultz's books, maybe beginning with My Life As An Indian.

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
I have several photographs of my great grandfather and to my delight several more have recently surfaced, from a trove kept by the Humansville Christian Church, and reproduced by local historians.

He was 6’4” and even in his seventies looked lean. alert, and dangerous. He’s riveting his gaze at the lens of every photo, wearing a “campaign hat” and his wife and family, and him, well dressed and prosperous.

He was in the 13th troop of the 12th Missouri Cavalry, the hind guard, mounted on a black horse, at Broadus.

Springer’s diary and a renegade named George Brent, tells the rest of what happened on September 8, 1865:

A German immigrant, First Lieutenant Charles H. Springer, of Company B, 12th Missouri Cavalry, said that this took place at about 1:00 p.m. Springer, who was with the 12th Missouri clearing out the woods, described the seen in front of the command: "The whole bottom and hills in advance were covered full of Indians, or to use a soldiers expression, they were thicker than fiddlers in hell". The 12th Missouri, 15th Kansas, 16th Kansas, and one battalion of the 2nd Missouri Light Artillery along with both artillery sections advanced simultaneously toward the warriors. The cannon were unlimbered and began firing at Indians gathered in some woods located in a bend of the Powder River. George Bent, a Cheyenne participant, said that the soldiers formed in a square around their wagons, and that Roman Nose performed several bravery rides along the front of the soldiers' skirmish line before his white pony was shot and killed, throwing him to the ground. Lieutenant Springer of the 12th Missouri mentioned the same incident in his diary, stating that an Indian had been making gestures in front of his line before a volley brought down his horse and made him "bite the dust". Bent said that Black Whetstone, an elderly Cheyenne man, was killed by one of the soldier's artillery shells during the battle, while smoking a pipe behind a hill.[4] As Cole committed more men to the battle, gradually the Sioux and Cheyenne pulled off from the engagement. The last action of the battle took place on bluffs overlooking the east side of the Powder River, just south of the confluence of what is now called Pilgrim Creek and the river, when Major Lyman G. Bennett led a handful of soldiers up a steep hill that was being held by a few warriors. The men charged up the hill, driving away the remaining warriors. In the charge, a soldier of the 16th Kansas was wounded in the foot. The action on September 8 was called Roman Nose's Fight by the Cheyenne's.[1] One soldier was killed and two were wounded. At least one Native American was killed and another wounded. The soldiers lost at least 36 horses captured during the engagement, while at least three native horses were killed or wounded. The battlefield is located on private land near the confluence of Pilgrim Creek, Little Pilgrim Creek, and the Powder River, in Powder River County, Montana, about 5 miles (8.0 km) northeast of present-day Broadus, Montana. It has not changed very much from its 1865 appearance, and is accessible from Powderville West Road on the east side of the river, but there are no signs marking the site.[2]
—-

I’m going to Broadus, someday.

I want to see for myself where he advanced into “Indians thicker than fiddlers in hell” and lived another 55 years, to die of the lingering effects of Spanish influenza in November 1920, that had killed my great grandmother in November 1918.

The Confederate cavalry is celebrated in legends and rightfully so.

But my great grandfather’s unit whipped Nathaniel Bedford Forrest at the Battle of Nashville, then were sent West to pacify Roman Nose, before they had their homecoming in 1866.

I can’t imagine, just how brave he was to volunteer for all that.

He was a pacifist Campbellite but then again so was Sgt. Alvin York.
I did not know that York was a Campbellite! I'm going to have to find a biography of him, having only seen the movie.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I did not know that York was a Campbellite! I'm going to have to find a biography of him, having only seen the movie.
About the only Campbellites NOT offended by calling them Campbelittes are us nondenominational Christians that left Scotland for America and settled in the God’s Own Ozarks.

My mother forbid me to wear green on Saint Patrick’s day because she didn’t want to celebrate a fairy tale about a drunken Irish priest killing all the snakes in Ireland.:)

York was an almost illiterate member of a Brethren backwoods type Campbellite church in Tennessee.

The more literate Scottish Campbellites turned him into the legendary Sgt Alvin York, by only stressing selected truths.
—-
A blacksmith from Cumberland Hill, Tenn., York was denied status as a conscientious objector and was drafted into the army during World War I. While serving in the 82nd Infantry Division at the Meuse-Argonne Offensive (October 1918), he was among a patrol of 17 men ordered to take out a German machine-gun emplacement that was checking his regiment’s advance. Behind enemy lines the patrol lost half its men but managed to take a handful of prisoners before it was pinned down by extremely heavy rifle and machine-gun fire. Corporal York assumed command and, while the rest of the survivors took up defensive positions and stood guard over the prisoners, York attacked alone and, firing rapidly and with deadly accuracy at the enemy gunners, killed more than two dozen of them, which prompted the others to surrender. En route back to the American lines, he captured still more Germans, to a total of 132. York was promoted to the rank of sergeant and later received the Congressional Medal of Honor and similar honours from France and other countries. After the war he returned to Tennessee, where he lived on a farm given him by that state and helped establish an industrial institute and a Bibleschool for the education of rural youth. His autobiography, Sergeant York, His Own Life Story and War Diary (ed. by T. Skeyhill), appeared in 1928
—-

Ever wonder who wrote, the Christ story?

On Friday April 3, 33 AD some frightened and shell shocked Christians walked our Master up Calvary’s Hill and some lived to tell the story, to learned Greeks.

Some sing songs about it, to this day!

Two thousand years ago, the original Christians fled persecution and maybe only one found Scotland.

One, was more than enough.:)

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
About the only Campbellites NOT offended by calling them Campbelittes are us nondenominational Christians that left Scotland for America and settled in the God’s Own Ozarks.

My mother forbid me to wear green on Saint Patrick’s day because she didn’t want to celebrate a fairy tale about a drunken Irish priest killing all the snakes in Ireland.:)

York was an almost illiterate member of a Brethren backwoods type Campbellite church in Tennessee.

The more literate Scottish Campbellites turned him into the legendary Sgt Alvin York, by only stressing selected truths.
—-
A blacksmith from Cumberland Hill, Tenn., York was denied status as a conscientious objector and was drafted into the army during World War I. While serving in the 82nd Infantry Division at the Meuse-Argonne Offensive (October 1918), he was among a patrol of 17 men ordered to take out a German machine-gun emplacement that was checking his regiment’s advance. Behind enemy lines the patrol lost half its men but managed to take a handful of prisoners before it was pinned down by extremely heavy rifle and machine-gun fire. Corporal York assumed command and, while the rest of the survivors took up defensive positions and stood guard over the prisoners, York attacked alone and, firing rapidly and with deadly accuracy at the enemy gunners, killed more than two dozen of them, which prompted the others to surrender. En route back to the American lines, he captured still more Germans, to a total of 132. York was promoted to the rank of sergeant and later received the Congressional Medal of Honor and similar honours from France and other countries. After the war he returned to Tennessee, where he lived on a farm given him by that state and helped establish an industrial institute and a Bibleschool for the education of rural youth. His autobiography, Sergeant York, His Own Life Story and War Diary (ed. by T. Skeyhill), appeared in 1928
—-

Ever wonder who wrote, the Christ story?

On Friday April 3, 33 AD some frightened and shell shocked Christians walked our Master up Calvary’s Hill and some lived to tell the story, to learned Greeks.

Some sing songs about it, to this day!

Two thousand years ago, the original Christians fled persecution and maybe only one found Scotland.

One, was more than enough.:)
There's not one in 50 million people who know what a Campbellite is! My people lean more towards the Barton W. Stone side of things, but I have read much more from Alexander Campbell--easy since he wrote so much more. The Millennial Harbinger is good nighttime readin'!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There's not one in 50 million people who know what a Campbellite is! My people lean more towards the Barton W. Stone side of things, but I have read much more from Alexander Campbell--easy since he wrote so much more. The Millennial Harbinger is good nighttime readin'!
I’m aware of Alexander Campbell and Barton Stone, but my family were Campellites centuries before they were born. I’ve not read one word Alexander Campbell ever wrote, and consider him an heretical Bapbist.

—-
In traditional genealogies of the Clan Campbell, the clan's origins are placed amongst the ancient Britons of Strathclyde;[4]the earliest Campbell in written records is Gillespie who is recorded in 1263.[4] Early grants to Gillespie and his relations were almost all in east-central Scotland, but the family's connection with Argyll came some generations before, when a Campbell married the heiress of the O'Duines and she brought with her the Lordship of Loch Awe.[4] Because of this the early clan name was Clan O' Duineand this was later supplanted by the style Clann Diarmaid. This name came from a fancied connection to Diarmid the Boar, a great hero from early Celtic mythology.[4]
—-

We will not kneel before God or man.

We never evangelize, have missions or missionaries, do not seek tithes, and only follow the Master.

In other words, we are sorta a cult, but one founded at the Foot of the Cross about 3 pm April 3, 33 AD.

Makes for good storytellers, Ima tellya.:)

Lots of famous people, are Campbellites.

I’m not famous.

Reactions: tfdickson
Status
Not open for further replies.