PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
I guesss when there are holes in it and otherwise or you have smoked some bad tobbaco that you cant get out of it..

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Some on here think of cobs as disposable pipes.

I have two; one regular cob that I have had for over 20 years, the other is a churchwarden. With a little care they will last as long as a briar or meerschaum.

But, if it's messed up... by all means "getcha" another one.

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
What aout building a cake in a corn oob.. are the rules diffrent? You dont want to overheat a corn cob

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Rules? We dohn' need no stinking rules!
Mine look like they have a cake and I do occasionally remove some carbon from the bowl.

I do however try to let the carbon build up in the bottom to protect the wooden insert in the bottom.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
When do you replace a corn cob? If you're using it in its most appropriate application -- in the out-house -- then after the first wipe. :lol:

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I have read that some cob schmokers make a mud out of cigar ash and a few drops of water to build up in the bottom of the cob. This somehow insulates the wooden stem from the ember thus lasting longer.
Does it work ? I dunno, never tried it.
Does it hurt, not having the insulation / mud ? prolly not.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I've replaced Cobs that I lost or caught on fire. They can be reamed,

but this is not required. A Cob will caramelize from the heat of the

smoke and don't really form much of a cake. They seem to thrive on neglect

and don't ghost as easily as other Pipes. The cracks that form on the

surface of the smooth finished Cobs will respond to the same lotion you

rub on your hands to keep the skin from drying out. They really are good

Pipes that don't often get the recognition they merit.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Thats an excellent question, considering I just dug out an old (MM) cob that is 30+ years old that I inherited. Upon inspection I noticed that the exterior of the bowl has cracks all through it and I do not know if they go all the way through. Now the fear I have is that I will pack a bowl light a fire in it and the whole thing turns to dust with hot embers in my lap (not good) :oops: II like the lotion idea but is it too far gone for that considering the age. Whaddya think?

phlyphisher

Lurker
Nov 1, 2010
Corn cobs ... I use em' for test platforms for tobacco blends I'm unsure about and don't want to commit to briar as yet. I also use em' for when I'm out on the property working since if its lost or busted not really a loss. Even though they are inexpensive, there isn't any reason a corn cob shouldn't last through many, many years with just a little care.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yuri66 writes: I just dug out an old (MM) cob that is 30+ years old that I inherited. Upon inspection I noticed that the exterior of the bowl has cracks all through it and I do not know if they go all the way through. Now the fear I have is that I will pack a bowl light a fire in it and the whole thing turns to dust with hot embers in my lap (not good) II like the lotion idea but is it too far gone for that considering the age. Whaddya think?
Chances are that the cracks don't go all the way thru to the chamber's wall. Yep,

they look ratty but don't affect the smoking characteristic of the Cob. If the Cob

has a hardwood dowel insert in the bottom of the bowl and thick walls, like the

Country Gentleman, then it should clean up nicely and provide years of smoking

enjoyment. The Cobs that I've had that caught fire were thin walled and showed

signs of burn-thru prior to turning into a torch.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Fred,
Thanks for the information, not sure if it has a hardwood dowel in the bottom, I would assume, but it still has its original MM sticker on it that I do not want to peel off, I think it is too cool that its still there after 30 years and more, this is one I got from my Dad. It has been smoked over the years just not since I have had it, and I cannot say when the last time was probably sometime 30 years ago...

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
I just a Cheap Jew here,,,,speaking of which,,,My Jewish Community Center Health Club bill just came in...

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
Fred said "They really are good Pipes that don't often get the recognition they merit."
I agree. They work. I've had one work better than a more expensive briar I purchased at a mortar store.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
@Yuri - I purchased my first corncob this weekend and thought about pulling the sticker off the bottom and thought, "Wait that's kinda cool, I'm going to leave it..." Hopefully it will still be there 30+ years from now. Come to think of it, hopefully I will too!

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
Having a litle trouble now getting the stem back into place..Try some vaslaine and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.