PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey guys,
Just wanted to remind everyone that their "tobacco hunting" methodology is by definition their own, an no-one's "best practices" will work for everyone else.
This was the original question:

Was wondering, besides Penzance and Stonehaven, which are the hard to find tobaccos to keep an eye out for not only online but at the b&M's?

For me that's pretty straight forward.

Therefore; I replied with Samuel Gawith Grousemoor.

I recommended that for two reasons:

1st) It's a blend that many English/Balkan lovers enjoy thoroughly.

2nd) Because it's usually only available once or twice a year.
:puffy:

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
Lawrence that's pretty much, and by that I mean exactly what I was looking for with this thread. Its funny how interpretations are made and variations are spun off topic.. Waayy off topic. Just looking for names that's all. If my b&m had a bag of stone haven and I didn't know its rarity I wouldn't think twice about snatching it up. I don't need a thread on "what you like differs from others", or someone trying to analyze my intentions. Sometimes its just as simple as it appears. Just looking for some names. I must say I did get a list but also some unnecessary drama and personal points of view, save that for another thread.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
If my b&m had a bag of stone haven and I didn't know its rarity I wouldn't think twice about snatching it up.
I must just have some kind of mental block about this. And I apologize. But I just can't grasp how Stonehaven's rarity makes it more desirable for you, when you've never tried it and have no idea whether or not you even like it. You could end up with a dozen tins of stuff in your cellar that you don't actually like once you get around to smoking it. When, alternatively, you could be seeking out blends similar to those you already know you enjoy and stocking up on them -- which may or may not lead you to Stonehaven and other hard-to-find blends.
But I'm clearly not on the same page with you here. So I'll bow out of the discussion.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
I can see this another way. As so many folks here love it, but it is so hard to find, it may be good if someone finds it and is then able to trade for another perhaps hard to find blend that another may have. It would be a win-win I think. One gets their favorite and the other gets a chance to try a blend they might not have tried before. Just a thought.

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
Rmbittner its all good and let me see if I can shed light on what i'm trying to accomplish here. First I'm not looking to buy 30 find of something I have never tried only trying to keep ,my eyes out for the hard to get and snatch up a tin if its available so I may try them. Granted it may be in vain as I may not enjoy them but hey that's part of pipe smoking. Second, I already cellar all the blends that I know I enjoy. A tobaccos rarity doesn't make it more desirable to obtain rather if its available to get why not. Like I said earlier, I may be at a b&m and pass on Penzance and buy cbw if I didn't realize that "hey I can get cbw at a rite aid and Penzance I may never find again. That's it.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
mctrav,
As I said, no hard feelings. I thought the comment was out of line in relation to roth's post, there's no more to it than that. A few of us gave you advice - perhaps advice that you were not looking for, but advice nonetheless - and sometimes that is more valuable than a direct answer. Anyway, I made the point I wanted to make. I personally was not concerned with your (or anyone else's) intentions about purchasing those blends - I was just trying to hammer home the merits of stocking up on what you like instead of hunting the rarities.
I hope you find some of those hard-to-find tobaccos in your travels. Cheers.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I might just add that Limerick is available again as I just purchased 2 lbs meself.

Status
Not open for further replies.