PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
I have an aromatic Black Cavendish with vanilla casing. The vanilla is too strong for me. I have seen threads that suggest mixing in an OTC to cut back on the flavoring. What would you suggest that I add to it to tame down the vanilla flavor?
Also what would be a good ratio to start?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Ooh, ooh, I know, I know, pick me teacher. Carter Hall.
lol!
I think the captain is right. CH shouldn't change the flavor either. You could also try Five Brothers. This is a high nic blend, with little flavor to taint the aro.
I sometimes put in a small amount with my aros just to give them a bit more of a kick.

Aug 1, 2012
Good point six. Sorry if this is a bit off the tread's intent but do you find the different burn rate between the aro and the 5 bros to be a problem or does it work pretty well?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
C&D's White Burley: neutral tobacco flavor (well, perhaps a bit nut-like), although it will amp-up the nicotine content.

Start at 10% by weight. Since this leans toward the dry side, it will probably be ideal for conditioning the moisture

level of your aromatic as an added benefit. (Five Brothers will do the same, but it's a shag cut, and might not mix well.)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Sorry if this is a bit off the tread's intent but do you find the different burn rate between the aro and the 5 bros to be a problem or does it work pretty well?
Good question. I haven't noticed a problem. I do mix it in well and I only use a little (maybe 15% is 5 bros).

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
IMO, Five Brothers is so strong, you can't mix-in enough to cut the aromatic without kickin' your butt real hard.
Excellent point - it would depend on how much you have to cut in. CH is a safer bet.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I like using Five Brothers, granted I only started mixing Five Brothers last week, but it helps the aros burn as well as cut the taste.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I've done a lot of this over the past 6 mos or so. As already stated, CH is good for this purpose. I also really like MB London Burley for mixing with aros (it helps to rub it out first).
But my personal favorite to mix with aros is Angler's Dream.

jfox520

May 24, 2013
I tried a mix of Sutliff PS Spinnaker and a pinch of CH today and it was great. Thanks again to everyone who posted.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I would say if you like VAs, try a straight VA, like MB No 1 or MB Mature VA. That's what I use.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Any Va really, depends on if you want to punch it up or smooth it out. I find I like it stronger so I would go with a Va, as I find most aro's to be too light for my tastes. I find black cavendish to be really light so I would go with a va. Personally though I've mixed black cavendish with amphora red and it's a great smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. Depends on the vanilla in that aromatic. If it's just too strong, CH ought to do it. But often too strong is also not so

good a flavor, in which case, maybe compost it. Give it a try with the CH, then compost it, or trade it, if the vanilla still isn't good.

Status
Not open for further replies.