PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I recently picked up a tin of Bjarne's The Gentle One (I can make out from under this sticker "The Mild One") and a jar of Jewel of St. James Perique from my local tobacco shop. Normally I'd just open the tins and start smoking.

The Bjarne tin looked like it was rather old from the cake of dust and slight oxidation of the metal. This made me question what was wrong with this tobacco, so I started hunting around with my friend, Mr. Google finding little other than the reviews on TR were somewhat negative (not that this means anything to me), It was a favorite of Bjarne himself, and that it was discontinued. My first thought was, "Oh no! What if I end up loving this tobacco and can't get anymore?!" Silly, I know, but this is me we're talking about here... My second thought was, "Would this be worth anything in terms of a trade to someone?" I know some blends would be traded heavily for (e.g. Penzance, Murray's production of My Mixture 965, etc.) and wondered if this could be the case here. I'm guessing not since the reviews haven't been great, but there you go. I'm seriously tempted to start smoking it, but I ask for your more experienced opinions in this matter.

The Jewel of St. James Perique is similar in that I knew that it hadn't been produced since Hurricane Katrina ripped through Louisiana, so it was somewhat rare. My impetus for getting it was two-fold. I could use it as an additive in my future blending endeavors (I haven't tried blending yet, but the article on this site caught my eye and now I'm thinking about it), and by knowing its scent, it would allow me to begin to discern the different tobaccos in any given blend. But my fiscal side found that a jar has gone for a significant amount on eBay considering my investment. So again, I defer to your more knowledgeable opinions. Should I keep or sell/ trade?
Thanks in advance.
-Jason

P.S.- If this the wrong place for this, please let me know so I can move it to the correct forum. Thanks.

willh

Lurker
Jul 16, 2010
I am with Cortez. You'll end up wishing that you had tried it and regretting that you traded it. Blend it with a few different things, as I don't think that perique by its self is a good idea. I could be wrong, though. Either way, I say keep it and experiment with it. Why let someone else enjoy it when you can. If for any reason you are having a hard time enjoying it.... I think I could give it a good home. :)
As to the Bjarne tobacco, try it out. What's the worst that can happen? You don't like it, and you can trade it to someone who might.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming! If/when I do try them, I'll let you know what I think.
Thanks.
-Jason

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I say smoke it. The whole point of smoking pipes is to enjoy the tobacco. We are all going to die one day and I don't want to wish that I had smoked a certain blend that I have and never did. You can't take it with you.
Another reason is; why trade it away without even tasting it? If you really like it and can't get anymore, so what. There are still a ton of other great blends out there and you will have smoked a blend that is no longer available.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Smoke em if you got em . The Perique is usefull for adding a kick to a so so blend and should be stored in a mason jar .

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'm gonna be the dissenting opinion. If someone will pay you handsomely over what you paid for it, sell it. You can use the money to fund lots of other tobaccos. I recently sold 2 tins of 965 for $60 a piece. For $120, I could buy a lot of other excellent tobaccos. There are tons of them out there. Sell yours to those who want to pay to wax poetically about the good old days and use the proceeds to create your good old days.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
You should send it to me immediately and get this burden off your chest . I'll take care of it for you, and if I end up selling it, I'll donate all the money to charity.

file011.gif

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
LOL, hobie1dog! Burden... Nice.

Well, I'm still on the fence about the Perique, but I cracked the Bjarne this morning and found the tin note to be a delightful way to start the day. I'm going to dry some out (for an old tin, well at least it looks old, it was quite moist) and smoke it tonight. Thanks for the thoughts, BotB (Brothers of the Briar)!
Another question about the Perique, though...

Are there any blends that its addition really makes shine? Thanks again!
-Jason

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I consider myself primarily a Vaper smoker, so the Perique is already in the blends I prefer. However, my old stand-by, Prince Albert, is elevated to something sublime with the addition of 5% Perique and 1¼% Latakia (I use blenders from McClelland.)

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I smoked the Bjarne last night and posted a first impression review which can be found HERE
Keep the comments and suggestions coming for the Perique. A newbie like me needs all the help he can get! Thanks!
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.