PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chlogeo3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2010
All of my pipes are Estates. Some smoke sweet and other have a bitter taste.
I don't have a sweetener and was wondering what else I could use in lieu of it in order to rid the pipes of the sour taste.
Thanks,

Forrest

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
I have used the salt and alcohol treatment to effect.. there is a string about such on here some where! Someone with more expertise will be able to give you the details..IT WORKS!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
First scrub out the shank with Everclear. A shank brush or bristle cleaners are recommended here. If that fails then stuff the bowl either with plain salt ( not iodized )and carefully saturate the salt with Everclear. Let set until the salt is dried out. Dump the nasty dirty salt out and then give the pipe a few days to be sure it has dried completely before trying it to see if your treatment worked. If not then go to the charcoal treatment that Greg Pease uses.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
If you have an aversion to alcohol, you an use vinegar. It takes longer to dry out.I'd use Kosher salt rather that regular salt because it easier to get out. Cotten balls can be used in place of the salt. If you do decide to use alcohol, use something that is 150 proof or higher.

The bitter taste may be coming from oxidation in the stem. If that is the case, a thorough cleeaning of the stem is in order.

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
there is also some good video`s on you tube showing the cleaning method

unclearther and chuckw is talking about. also reaming them out first helps also.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
All my estates get a complete and thorough cleaning before I fire them up. Even those that are "smoke ready".

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMO you should try some of the methods already mentioned. There is also ozone treatment,

which can be considered as a last resort if rescuing your estate pipe is worth the expense.

(You'll spend ~$13.00 for round trip shipping, and $5.00 for the 1st pipe plus $2.00 for each

additional pipe. Could be a good deal if you have several pipes to treat.)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
While I personally do not advocate the castration of teddy bears, cotton balls and a good bourbon (I use Ezra Brooks) used as a sweetener works for me.

jsharp

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2010
Dandridge, TN
Tommy, great article. How often do you guys clean your pipes. Either using the salt treatment mentioned, or just by running through a pipe cleaner with some alcohol on it? I recently purchased a new pipe and have smoked it a lot since purchasing it. Noticed last night I got a bitter taste using the same tobacco Ive been smoking for some time. It was kind of odd.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
The above suggestions are all good and should work. However, if they don't what I would suggest is you run in circles, scream and shout.
Sorry, couldn't resist...

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Okay so how are you supposed to use pipe sweeteners? I thought about getting a bottle but they are so small I don't think they would even fill up two pipes with a salt treatment! Or are they just supposed to be rubbed on the inside of the bowl?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bubba, those commercial pipe sweeteners are a waste of money. Get some Everclear (or other booze), soak a pipe cleaner, and scrub out the stem and shank. Soak some into a wadded-up paper towel and scour the inside of the bowl too. Or, follow the salt treatment link that Tommy provided.
Since I use 1 or 2 dry pipe cleaners after every smoke, I only need to do the full treatment thing every 4-6 months -- and, like pstlpkr, I use cotton balls instead of salt.

CottonGin.jpg

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Nice photo Cortez,...do yours come out like mine; where the shank is four times darker than the bowl? A few times I've had to dig the tarry stem crap out with a drill bit!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Tommy, yesterday I spent over an hour opening up the stem on a Jobey that came in my last batch. Don't think the previous owner ever used a pipe cleaner.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I tend to keep the shanks pretty clean because every now and then, between major cleanings,

I use a few bristle-brush pipe cleaners soaked in gin.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Well Cortez I use that same set up every 1-2 months on all of my pipes! Haha I guess I will leave the pipe sweeteners for another day and stick with my always faithful everclear!

Status
Not open for further replies.