PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find it after spending many enjoyable hours reading these forums!

So there are many different shapes and sizes of pipes, some with large bowls some with small bowls. Bent, straight, calabash types and wonderful freehand works of art.

In order to get the most from my smoking and so I end up with a collection that offers different smoking experiences I'm trying to work out whats what.

I know that obviously the tobacco is the main thing but what does the type of pipe do in terms of the overall smoke? I guess thick walls mean a cooler pipe in your hand but what other factors come into it and what do the experts here say about it all?

Looking at peoples collections its obvious most of us (me included) like to own a variety of shapes and sizes and configurations but frankly I'm bewildered by the amount of variations and choice available. Where do I start?

Aesthetics aside, what makes a pipe a great smoker and what does that actually mean? I'm a beginner and would love to know if there are any 'must try' pipes or is it really just a lucky dip and a matter of personal preference. Looking at mainly briars for now but no doubt I'll venture into the world of white eventually too.

Thanks again for any advice, I'm fascinated by all this but also a little confused.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
First and foremost is the aesthetics. If you don't like how it looks you will not smoke it regardless of how well it smokes. After that it is internal design. Being properly drilled. Some pipes will smoke differently with different tobaccos and seem to favor certain blends. It's largely a matter of trial and error.

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
It's very similar then to my other great love; playing saxophone. Some mouthpieces work great on certain horns and wont work on others. Some players have major MAD in that regard! Mouthpiece collecting is common. Its also trial and error until you find a sweet combination that gives you what you want.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Tenon and Mortise fit is important. I have a pipe that has the mortise cut deeper than the tenon fits and it causes it to gurgle after 1/2 to 3/4 of a bowl.
Comfort if important to me as well. I'm a clencher and I tend to prefer lighter pipes when I'm working on something. Churchwardens are better for hiking/walking I find, both aesthetically and because of the cooler smoke (even if the wind takes hold of the flame for a second).
If it's a house pipe, a bigger bowl will lend itself to a more prolonged, relaxing smoke. I find that smaller bowls irritate me when I'm lounging in my office trying to enjoy a lengthy session in quiet contemplation.
Aesthetics and history are very important. If you have a pipe that you really like, or that has some special significance, you will enjoy it much more than a perfectly crafted pipe that means nothing to you.
Also, any man who plays the sax is alright in my book, welcome Martin!

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
What makes a pipe a good smoker? Everyone probably has their own take on that. It all comes down to enjoyment. If a pipe brings you happiness, it is a good smoker.

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
And here I was expecting a heap of technical answers about bowl design and drilling etc. So it's really that fluid huh? If you like it its a good one. That outlook so works for me, can't get too hung up on details.
Guess I just have to buy dozens of nice pipes and find out for myself :lol:

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
You can better your odds by going with a manufacturer with a good reputation for engineering, but all in all it seems to be a crap shoot. I have had incredible smokes from all sorts of pipe and tobacco combinations.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
It's very similar then to my other great love; playing saxophone. Some mouthpieces work great on certain horns and wont work on others. Some players have major MAD in that regard! Mouthpiece collecting is common. Its also trial and error until you find a sweet combination that gives you what you want.

I play sax too, alto, tenor, and bari. I'll also vouch for MAD (though I'd have never thought to call it that) as I have a fair number of mouthpieces.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Proper smoking technique suited to the tobacco loaded in the bowl of a clean pipe. Every pipe I own, including many no names are great smokers.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
As a former tenor sax man myself (anybody interested in a good used King Silver Sonic?), I know how variations in mouthpieces can also affect pipes. If a pipe doesn't feel right in my mouth, I will not like smoking it. Too-sharp corners and big buttons are an example. P-lips also irk me. :?

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I think the answer to what makes a pipe a good smoker has to do with three things. First, the quality of the briar. Second, the mechanics of the pipe as to how low the hole is on the bottom of the bowl, the size of the draft, etc. Finally, the last reason a pipe smokes well is not obvious at all. Although I have never tried this but you can take two exactly the same pipes, (e.g., brand, size, same manufacturing age, same tobacco smoked the same number of times, etc.) and one of these pipes will smoke better then the other, go figure! I have also had old so, so, pipes that got better after a while.
In conclusion, while one of two of my favorate smokers are somewhat predicable, another one or two of my great smoking pipes can not be explained. Go figure!

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
My best pipe is incredibly cheap, unnamed and very simple. It just happens to have been made extremely well and will suit almost any baccy I put in it. Others are better suited to certain blends, or places. It really is personal preference. I personally really don't like walking with churchwardens because the long stem makes the thing feel very heavy and it bounces as I walk. But other guys like them more. Research, purchase and find what you prefer.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
What makes a pipe a good smoker?
Martin don't apologize for this fundamental, but highly subjective question.

As you can see by the responses there are a lot of opinion on the subject.
For me, it's simple... While some of my pipes smoke certain types of blends better than others; I believe that a good smoker will facilitate easy packing, has an open draw, and fits your hand.

In other words if it's easy to fill then light, and is comfortable... that, IMHO, makes a good smoker.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
1 - You have to think the pipe is attractive and suits your style.

2 - You have to think the pipe is comfortable in hand and mouth.

3 - The pipe has to be smoked enough to become well seasoned.
If you can't achieve step 3, then something about the mechanics or geometry is wrong inappropriate.
(I think expensive wood makes only a slight contribution to being a good smoker;

though it makes sense that the nicest wood is reserved for only the best pipemakers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.