PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
No sorcery, these pipes are current production,
In addition, we have brought back some of the original classic English shaped pipes in 3 beautiful finishes that being; Pebble Grain, Traditional and Blue Riband. The pipes are made in St Claude, France by the Chacom factory a 6th Generation family Company.
http://comoypipes.com/products

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Wow, those really are gorgeous! I'd be extra concerned about fills with just the oil finish though. We all know briar can often be a bugger when it comes to imperfections.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
In 2013, there was an article here about the re-introduction of the Comoys new lines, including the Blue Riband.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/4th-generation-pipes-debut-comoys-come-back
I've seen them at the now closed Annapolis Smoke Shop. For the $135 price point, the quality seemed good. I don't recall seeing any fills. I believe the stems were acrylic.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Nice pipes. I've had a few come through here. Not close to the original Comoy's made Blue Ribands, of course, but still appear well constructed. Never smoked one though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One or two Forums members really do not like the new French made Comoys. I've been following them a little online as they have been introduced for the past year or two. They look good in photos. I would expect pipes made in France to meet some level of acceptability; that is, I don't associate French pipes with shoddy work. I'd appreciate a report from anyone who has smoked a recently-made Comoy, not made in England. They may be fine; they may have started out less good but be improving; or they may not be good. I think the fans of the English pipes are understandably unhappy that the manufacture has moved. That's a slightly different issue. I finally made my peace with Stanwell's move and am convinced that the Italian made pipes are good quality. The jury seems to still be out on the new Comoys, with loud shouts coming from the jury room.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
mso489, you say that the new Comoys are no longer made in England, but the ones in the link indicate England as the origin. So I suppose they're made in France and distributed from England? I also note that the stems are acrylic, not ebonite or vulcanite.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Unfinished is a weird choice to wear the blue ribband moniker as the stain was one aspect of the grade. Anyway, these are French made Chacom's with acrylic stem. The shapes look really nice and unfinished means no varnish, so that's a win in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.