What is the difference between Appalachian and English Mixtures?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Nørding Pipes
36 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
2 Fresh Yeti Pipes
24 Fresh Vauen Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

RPaul

Lurker
Sep 30, 2024
Southwest Wyoming
I have tried (and loved) some "English" mixtures, like GL Pease Quiet Nights and Chelsea Mornings, and some "Appalachian" blends, like C&D Blue Ridge and String Duster. In general, I seem to like the "English" blends better, but I have been mildly puzzled trying to understand the differences.

The blends I like best seem to have either Latika or Oriental blends in them, which makes my tongue tingle just a little. They taste really good to me, and I enjoy the tiny little bit of tingle that they leave. I smoke them with carbon filters, as that cuts out pretty much all of the tongue bite and harshness.

So I wonder if y'all might share your thoughts and experiences on the different tastes and what it really is that I may like. I like the smell (room note) of all of them, and I think that has something to do with the taste. :)

-Paul

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
England is in Europe, and Appalachian Trail is here in the God's land. And C&D Appalachian Trail blends don't even have Latakia. Why would you think they are related? A couple of AT blends do have Perique. If you get tongue tingle, might be due to Perique.

RPaul

Lurker
Sep 30, 2024
Southwest Wyoming
That makes sense, though I try to stay away from heavy Perique blends. I didn't realize that might be the taste I like. I have also been trying to stay away from the Virginia and Kentucky heavy blends. I'm a wuss. I enjoy smoking a pipe, but I sure don't want to get lightheaded or, worse, nicotine-sick. ;)

So essentially, there is no "Appalachian" blend base, like there are English blend bases?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
There isn't any specific Appalachian blends. It's just a line of products that C&D came out with. There are many marketing names for Latakia blends. There's English, Oriental forward called Balkan, sweet Cavendish added Scottish, I thought American was with Burley. But it's all marketing and no specific standards for them. I just call them Latakia blends.