PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I have a giant one I use to drive tent stakes when I go camping. Just kidding. I always felt it was Castello's version of a freehand and some are really beautiful. Actually, the shape is probably about the easiest to make because you can get away with making an error or finding a flaw and it's easy to work around. As Stan would say to Ollie, "No one will be the wiser". puffy

Reactions: BenMN and heissa

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Here are some examples of "Great Line" pipes. It looks like SP calls them "Big Line" instead. I don't know if that's a translation preference or if "Big Line" is the true name. Again, the experts will eventually chime in here and clear this up for us.
I'm not an expert but, as I understand it, Great Lines and Big Lines are ostensibly not the same. Castello made Big Lines in the past but only started making them again in quantity in the last couple of years. Now they have both Big Lines and Great Lines. Most of the recent Big Lines I've seen are huge (110 grams or more), whereas Great Lines can come in a range of sizes—including huge! The distinction between a regular Big Line and a giant Great Line seems to be arbitrary. Both can be rough, or have excellent grain, and both can receive the Pezzo Unico (unique piece) designation. I guess the only sure thing is that Big Lines are always super-sized.

I have no idea why Castello resurrected the Big Line designation (other than to sow confusion) unless they discovered a stock of giant stummels they wanted to make use of but didn't want to saturate the Great Line market.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'm not an expert but, as I understand it, Great Lines and Big Lines are ostensibly not the same. Castello made Big Lines in the past but only started making them again in quantity in the last couple of years. Now they have both Big Lines and Great Lines. Most of the recent Big Lines I've seen are huge (110 grams or more), whereas Great Lines can come in a range of sizes—including huge! The distinction between a regular Big Line and a giant Great Line seems to be arbitrary. Both can be rough, or have excellent grain, and both can receive the Pezzo Unico (unique piece) designation. I guess the only sure thing is that Big Lines are always super-sized.

I have no idea why Castello resurrected the Big Line designation (other than to sow confusion) unless they discovered a stock of giant stummels they wanted to make use of but didn't want to saturate the Great Line market.
Thanks for the correction!

Reactions: dunnyboy
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I used to hate the 55 but now I see why people like them. It's still not the pipe for me though I've been tempted to buy one a few times. Yours is a pretty beefy example, Jay Leno would be proud.

I’d be curious to hear what made you see the appeal of the 55; aesthetically, I find them off-putting and very clunky looking and have a tough time getting past that (there are a number of Castello shapes and lines that have come across as bloated and awkward to my eye). I love their squat Bulldogs and like their more traditional shapes quite a bit. Help me understand the appeal of the Leno chin.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’d be curious to hear what made you see the appeal of the 55; aesthetically, I find them off-putting and very clunky looking and have a tough time getting past that (there are a number of Castello shapes and lines that have come across as bloated and awkward to my eye). I love their squat Bulldogs and like their more traditional shapes quite a bit. Help me understand the appeal of the Leno chin.
It still looks like a Leno chin to me but now I like it. Maybe I've just been looking at too many Castellos or maybe I now have a thing for Jay Leno.

Looking up some examples I think it's pipes shaped like the one below that made see some beauty in them. The curve from the chin to the shank face has a nice gentle curve and the front is more vertical than angled. I think it's these versions that I find attractive and can see beauty in.

1715270627538.png

These older ones from Pease's collection are other examples of less extreme Leno chins.

1715270812673.png