PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
She told me we were looking at a 50/50. As much as I hated the news, I appreciated her honesty. "We got as much of the tumor as we could," she said. "But we couldn't get all of it. If she can make it another year, she could live another five. But if not... we might not have long. What matters now is keeping her comfortable." That was two months ago.

I first met Luna in 2012, when she was a year old and I was twenty-three. It was the third date in what would blossom into a marriage. "I want you to meet Luna," Holly said, going to fetch her puppy. When she returned, I felt a second calling of love at first sight.

Holly would go on to tell me that the moment she introduced me to Luna was the moment she knew who I truly was. This was the moment she knew that we, too, were meant to be. I remember watching her run around bearing her shih tzu smile and I can recall that memory like it was yesterday. And in the dozens of years since I met her, I'm bombarded with a cascade of fond yesterdays and I'm still sifting through them.

The 4th of July is a day of independence, but this particular 4th represents an independence I've dreaded. After her surgery a couple months ago, she livened up, representing the pup she used to be. She ate like she'd never heard of food, putting on two pounds in as many weeks. She was lively, and she was Luna.

After those first couple weeks she'd have a nasty cough creep up a couple times each day. This could be normal during recovery and it should've waned. It didn't. These past few days she woke up at 6:15 and would hack away for minutes on end. I scheduled the return visit I dreaded, hoping against hope that my fears were misplaced.

It could be kennel cough, or a respiratory infection. Hell, even a collapsed lung. But it was none of those things. We learned today that her cancer had spread.

I don't envy veterinarians. Aimee Seguin is a veteran in her industry, with fifteen years under her belt and she manages a damn-fine team. She's had this talk thousands of times but in her eyes I saw that it hadn't gotten easier. Not a bit. "Sometimes it feels like the sweetest dogs and the most loving owners get the worst news. God, I hate it," she said. She almost cried. I did.

I was a latch-key kid raised by a single mom who'd led a hard life and I guess I never viewed my own feelings as a commodity worth the cost of exchange. I've often questioned my own humanity because I can never seem to cry, even in the moments when tears are mandated. This emotional deficiency of mine has caused problems in nearly every relationship I've ever had. Today, however, has been an especially human day.

Luna's still with us for now, though Aimee made clear we're looking at days, maybe weeks. After the prognosis, my best friend Alex said we should have a cigar, so we sat there sweating our asses off in the Carolina heat. We had Sweet Janes - in this instance Bittersweet Janes - but all I tasted were the tears I could never seem to shed. Now, I couldn't turn the damn fountain off.

Every night, Luna crawls up on my chest to say goodnight once I'm in bed. When I play guitar, she sits at my feet and you'd never know from her demeanor that my strumming isn't shit. When I carve away at my pipes, she sits at my feet and pays no mind to the wood chips that sprinkle down on her while as I chip away.

She's always loved the smell of pipe tobacco, and being present as I carve. When I open a tin, I let her smell it. Like most lightweights, she prefers aromatics. She has a particular disdain for most things GLP, but if Greg met her, I'm sure he'd forgive her in a heartbeat.

When we got home today, I set out all the blocks I have on hand, before holding them up to her one-by-one. Her energy levels are low, but she raised her head and sniffed one of them. That one's going to be for her. I'm going to stop working on everything else and carve this one - which I'll call Moonrise - in honor of the friend who has brightened my days for a third of my life.

It's an impossible task, learning to let go. I don't want her final days to be filled with rivers of tears, but I'm only human and I guess I'm learning to accept that. I feel like my heart has been torn from my chest, but sometimes, I think that's what hearts are for.

I believe that life moves on, that throughout this whole universe, energy never goes to waste. In Stephen King's Dark Tower series he talks about moving on to the path beyond the clearing. Whatever that is - wherever that is - I know she'll find it. And I know she'll be missed.

20240406_182353~2.jpg

Last edited:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
jbfrady:

What a beautiful girl! I've known the sting of the loss of beloved pets more times than I can count, particularly with my dogs, so I feel for you. But to paraphrase something my late friend Gene Hill once said, there is more than one door to your heart and eventually a dog will find it.

Treasure what time you have left with Luna; those memories will comfort and carry you and Holly in days to come. In the meantime, may God bless you all.

Joseph Rudyard Kipling was a dog-lover, and he wrote the following in response to the passing of one of his beloved Scotties:

"The Power of the Dog"

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find - it's your own affair, -
But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!),
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone - wherever it goes - for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear!

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent,
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve;
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long -
So why in - Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jpmcwjr and jbfrady

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
Condolences...The hardest part is always the parting part.. :oops: :cry: - with the love and loyalty, hence never forgotten..my wife cheats, but my dog, never.
When my last one departed (after 15 years - he was born in the house ) - me and the kids went thru 3 months wrecks when we finally got our strength to get a puppy.

• Love
Reactions: jbfrady

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That is so sad, and yet beautifully expressed. My thirteen year old Lab is asleep at my feet while I watch Argentina v Ecudor.

I know I won't have that much longer with him, so days are a bit more precious.

Wishing you peace in this turmoil,

• Love
Reactions: Merton and jbfrady

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I have long held that the entirety of Man's problems and unhappiness could be made to disappear forever with a single wave of a magic wand.

One simple change to reality...

In that Universe, the instant a human is born, a puppy sparkles into existence next to him.

What kind of puppy? What breed?

Whichever one is the perfect match for that human at that moment in time.

They grow up and experience everything together. Constant companions.

As the human matures, the dog morphs as necessary to always stay a perfect match. Maybe a Golden Retriever to start with, then a German Shepard, then an Airedale, and finally one day, a gentle, lazy lapdog of some kind.

Always exactly what the human needs at that time in his life.

The lifespan of the dog? The same as the human to the attosecond. When the human checks out, the dog sparkles out of existence the same way it appeared.

War? Famine? Strife?

No human could be bothered to mess with that sort of stuff. They'd be too happy.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’m sorry you’re going through this. When we bought our house in Pennsylvania at the beginning of the pandemic, we hoped Susan’s Boston Terrier, Rocco, could live with us there another five years. But, his intestinal cancer took him shortly after that—he was only able to visit the house once before he left this mortal coil. Susan didn’t think she could bear getting another dog and go through the pain of that loss again. But, a little over two years ago, she found herself looking at some puppies and came across one she fell in love with ... it was only days later she realized that happened on Rocco’s birthday and we ended up getting Wasabi.

I never grew up with a dog, and Wasabi is my first. It boggles my mind how these simple, sweet, creatures worm their way into your heart. Sometimes, it feels like our lives revolve around this eternal toddler. I look forward to seeing him when I get back from work and it pleases me to no end when he sidles up next to me on the bed, or plops down on me.

I can’t fully imagine the pain you are going through and I’m sorry that that’s happening. But, I can easily imagine the joy and good memories you can reflect upon and hold onto—I hope those memories will carry you through this tough time.

• Love
Reactions: jbfrady

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
That is so sad, and yet beautifully expressed. My thirteen year old Lab is asleep at my feet while I watch Argentina v Ecudor.

I know I won't have that much longer with him, so days are a bit more precious.

Wishing you peace in this turmoil,
I feel fortunate in that I've been able to tell in her eyes that she's been preparing to go for some time. I've made conscious efforts this year to stop and cherish the moments as they happen, and that's been its own blessing. Anything infinite would be torture. Love and life are precious because they must end. It's not an easy lesson, but it's one worth having learned.

I have long held that the entirety of Man's problems and unhappiness could be made to disappear forever with a single wave of a magic wand.

One simple change to reality...

In that Universe, the instant a human is born, a puppy sparkles into existence next to him.

What kind of puppy? What breed?

Whichever one is the perfect match for that human at that moment in time.

They grow up and experience everything together. Constant companions.

As the human matures, the dog morphs as necessary to always stay a perfect match. Maybe a Golden Retriever to start with, then a German Shepard, then an Airedale, and finally one day, a gentle, lazy lapdog of some kind.

Always exactly what the human needs at that time in his life.

The lifespan of the dog? The same as the human to the attosecond. When the human checks out, the dog sparkles out of existence the same way it appeared.

War? Famine? Strife?

No human could be bothered to mess with that sort of stuff. They'd be too happy.
I couldn't have said it better, and I appreciate you taking the time to pen that. It puts me in mind of the quote most attributed to Bruce Lee, to be like water. Whatever life, whatever circumstance, whatever the heart of the owner, a dog fills the space at hand, and does so gracefully.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. When we bought our house in Pennsylvania at the beginning of the pandemic, we hoped Susan’s Boston Terrier, Rocco, could live with us there another five years. But, his intestinal cancer took him shortly after that—he was only able to visit the house once before he left this mortal coil. Susan didn’t think she could bear getting another dog and go through the pain of that loss again. But, a little over two years ago, she found herself looking at some puppies and came across one she fell in love with ... it was only days later she realized that happened on Rocco’s birthday and we ended up getting Wasabi.

I never grew up with a dog, and Wasabi is my first. It boggles my mind how these simple, sweet, creatures worm their way into your heart. Sometimes, it feels like our lives revolve around this eternal toddler. I look forward to seeing him when I get back from work and it pleases me to no end when he sidles up next to me on the bed, or plops down on me.

I can’t fully imagine the pain you are going through and I’m sorry that that’s happening. But, I can easily imagine the joy and good memories you can reflect upon and hold onto—I hope those memories will carry you through this tough time.
I understand entirely. I got laid off several years ago and we got evicted from our home and had to live with family. My mom put us up in be garage while I tried to work out how to rebuild a career. Holly and I both worried that we'd lose Luna before we had a real home with a yard she felt like she could own. Thankfully, Luna got to see two Christmases in this house and she's made it over halfway to a third.

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
For a few years now Holly has wanted us to have family photos made (us with Luna). We never assigned it priority, and if there's one benefit to how this all happened, it's that we know the end is coming. Today, my best friend Alex - a master photographer - stopped to make that shoot happen. I nabbed this photo on my phone along the way.

20240706_105248.jpg

Last edited: