PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
San Diego
Starting to get into restoring some old pipes and been doing my research - it appears Fiebings Leather dye is the way to go. One problem, I live in California where you cannot get the good stuff. They have the Fiebings LeatherColors at my local Michaels. Does this work as well? Any other suggestions?

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
San Diego
Looking more into the Liebing LeatherColors, seems it is a water based dye. Guessing that is a no go????? I thought I read somewhere it needs to be alcohol based. Anyone available to confirm?

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Looking more into the Liebing LeatherColors, seems it is a water based dye. Guessing that is a no go????? I thought I read somewhere it needs to be alcohol based. Anyone available to confirm?

Can't answer if water based is ok. I'd be safe and hit up Amazon.

71+fgWlkH9L._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
San Diego
Fiebings seems to be readily available online. I’ve ordered it from Amazon and eBay. Even Walmart carried it the last time I was looking for some.
Would love to order some of the regular dye, but they will not ship to California due to regulations.

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
It was the all natural Moonshine x Missouri Meerschaum Cob. Didn’t dig the natural cob so I painted it.

The all black cobs are really nice. I was lucky enough to grab a couple. Hope they reissue them soon.
Oh right I forgot about the natural versions. I just remembered the black and tan/orange ones.

Yeah I'd like to grab one too.

Reactions: eljimmy

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As to California and Fiebig's, I readily bought some 5-6 years ago without problem, in Oakland IRRC.

Where do you live? If near Carmel, you can have some of mine.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
Feibing’s is certainly the go-to. A lot of stains used for guitar making are compatible too and some nice colors like vintage Amber by color tone at StewMac though a bit pricier. Of course I’m sure others have said what you need to know. Good luck with it! - Pete