What Does Abusing a Return Policy Look Like?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dog_park_piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I can see various opinions come out about this.

For starters, the buyer has not held the pipe purchased on EBay, Smokingpipes, Danish Pipe Shop, etc. until it arrives. This matters, for me, as a buyer.

Is it an inconvenience for the seller to process a return? No doubatbyl. But is this “the name of the game” when a seller ventures into the online sales business model?

If it states “returns accepted,” then why not act accordingly?

The question, then, is how much returning is rude?

I bought a used Peterson pipe on EBay, didn’t like it when I had it here, and returned it courteously. The seller forwarded me a nasty note including a comment about how after 1,000 sales he never had to process a return because the buyer didn’t like it.

Smokingpipes is much more professional about returns.

The question remains, though, what constitutes an abuse of the return policy in the era of online pipe sales?

Reactions: JOHN72 and didimauw

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
IMHO it depends on seller and buyer. As a retired seller I did accept any and all returns, as long as the item was returned in the condition it was sent out.

However .... IF ( and only IF ) the buyer had not read the description and asks to return an item because they did not read all the information .... while it was accepted as a return, a mental note was made of the buyers name. ie = return because the pipe is too short, or chamber too large etc. Then it did sort of leave me slightly peeved.

IF the buyer emails and says ..... Mike it just not what I was looking for, or I don't like the balance etc, no issues. Sent it back, no worries.

IF the seller did not fully describe or disclose as much information as possible, then shame on the seller and they should have no problems accepting the return.

It doesn't matter if you've sold 10 or 10,000 items. Returns for whatever reason are part of business. Accept them with politeness and respect towards the buyer. As a seller that one return accepted "properly" could lead to a long term client that ends up buying many items. Being a "dicK' about a return almost guarantees you've lost that buyer forever.

YMMV ......

dog_park_piper

Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
IMHO it depends on seller and buyer. As a retired seller I did accept any and all returns, as long as the item was returned in the condition it was sent out.

However .... IF ( and only IF ) the buyer had not read the description and asks to return an item because they did not read all the information .... while it was accepted as a return, a mental note was made of the buyers name. ie = return because the pipe is too short, or chamber too large etc. Then it did sort of leave me slightly peeved.

IF the buyer emails and says ..... Mike it just not what I was looking for, or I don't like the balance etc, no issues. Sent it back, no worries.

IF the seller did not fully describe or disclose as much information as possible, then shame on the seller and they should have no problems accepting the return.

It doesn't matter if you've sold 10 or 10,000 items. Returns for whatever reason are part of business. Accept them with politeness and respect towards the buyer. As a seller that one return accepted "properly" could lead to a long term client that ends up buying many items. Being a "dicK' about a return almost guarantees you've lost that buyer forever.

YMMV ......
I appreciate this in sight from you, thank you. One of my great purchases from your site was a pipe you showcased in your YouTube channel, an unboxing. It helped the buyers see it in a nice context.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
If the seller or business has a return policy then you get to return it if you want. If the item was poorly or simply mis represented, you might not want to buy from them again. The off putting note reinforces that.
Pipe sellers on eBay can be pretty ignorant about pipes though. I make allowances for that.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Over the years I’ve bought a lot of estates. From about a dozen different places.

Most times the transaction goes smoothly and I get what I expected.

There have been times I’ve returned pipes because there was an issue that wasn’t described or shown.

A recent return I made because the chamber was over reamed was refunded, but they couldn’t resist making a snide comment about how the stem had tooth chatter.

I held the pipe in my hands for a matter of minutes before reboxing it and mailing it back. I never stuck it in my mouth.

Over the years this vendor’s estates have gone to the top of the mark price wise and the refurbishment has gotten a little sloppier.

There are a number of estate vendors out there now, some better than others. But making snide remarks ain’t bringing your ‘A’ game, and I’ll shop the competition more.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
With Smokingpipes, the time I was able to buy online, they were always very professional and fast. With respect to online efficiency. Sometimes I end up ordering the product on Amazon. It is the most convenient platform to return anything. And that is a very good business strategy, to have loyal and happy customers. I agree with Bullet08.

Last edited:

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Smokingpipes accepts returns no questions asked. I only use two or three vendors on eBay. They do a great job describing and refurbishing their pipes and often have unique offerings. I try very hard not to return their pipes, even if I don't love them, because it must be challenging to have to re-auction them. On the two occasions I did have to return a pipe (unsmoked, for valid reasons), the vendors were respectful, probably because I had purchased pipes from them in the past. Yes, returns are part of doing business but these small businesses are not Amazon and it must cost them.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I sell on eBay and I’m fine with all returns because even if you say you don’t accept returns eBay will force you to do it. Their site and their rules so it’s best to accept it with a smile because the buyer can leave you negative feedback. Pretty dumb of that seller to get an attitude with you.

dog_park_piper

Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I sell on eBay and I’m fine with all returns because even if you say you don’t accept returns eBay will force you to do it. Their site and their rules so it’s best to accept it with a smile because the buyer can leave you negative feedback. Pretty dumb of that seller to get an attitude with you.
I thought it was dumb, right. And I left him a review.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I rarely buy estates that are refurbished, and if I do it’s from sellers with full descriptions and photos of what I want to see. If it’s expensive (relative term) I’ll always ask questions that will elicit the character or knowledge of the seller.
I prefer to do my own clean up and “restoration”, but need to see what I’ve got to work with. I’d much rather clean a heavily oxidized stem than get one that looks good in their pictures only to receive one that has been heavily “polished” and the button rounded, etc.
Caveat emptor, always.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
a growing number of people selling pipes know nothing about pipes or the hobby, and if they do, they see it as a second income. it's supposed to be easy money, not work. WRONG. you're taking other people's money. It's a service and work. It doesn't surprise me to hear seller grumblings. Buyers are also entitled a-holes these days. I used to sell on ebay, but back then, there wasn't an Amazon to create these ridiculous buyer expectations.

you can give me all the measurements and 20 photos, but for something like a pipe, you have to hold it, balance it, and study it for a bit to really know it. Don't get me wrong. I like measurements, but the sellers who think because they have a bunch of measurements, they don't have to have any semblance of customer service...well, they're in the wrong business. People into collectibles are pretentious Aholes. They're lucky shipping is so expensive. It probably gets in the way of a lot of returns made. If it bothers them that much, they can block sellers.

Reactions: dog_park_piper
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
If you buy something and the product is broken or damaged; or isn’t what it said it was going to be…return it. ☕

If you buy a product and the product is what it is supposed to be, and does what it was intended to do…you keep it. 💁‍♂️

• Love
Reactions: Sig
Aug 1, 2012
USA
As an occasional seller, I accept returns but it does drive me crazy when it's obvious buyer's remorse. I still stand behind every pipe I sell and am always polite, but I hate it when people give a BS reason for returns. Didn't feel right in the hand or jaw, understandable. Found a flaw I didn't see, great. The color wasn't right in the picture, you're just making excuses. Not what I was expecting, read the description and look at the photos next time.