PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Fellas, as White Men Can't Jump once taught me, "The sun even shines on a dog's ass, some days."
I was just able to pick up these 3 old Castello Sea Rocks for a very reasonable price (Less than the cost of 1 new Sea Rock).

They date from the 60's and have Patent numbers and no K designations. I haven't smoked them yet.

I'm probably going to keep 2 and sell 1, but not before I have the stems opened up by Mark Tinsky.
Does anyone out there have some like this? How do they perform?

In my experience, the old Italian briars, that have been broken in, smoke like a dream. My other Castello is nice, but I'm betting that these are champs right from the get-go.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Please let me know which one you want to sell. I am always hunting for a Castello sea rock.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
That's a great looking group! From the top down I'd call them shape numbers 31, 75 and 31(?) all have the US Hallco trademark. The shape of the saddle bit of the 75 lovat is very interesting. It's very hard to date the pipes but do any have a letter size stamp? SA SB SC? Any way you have some really good looking pipes with good and very good on the 75 and 31(?) Sea Rock carving in very popular shapes! 8O

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Costellos are my favorite pipe when I can afford them. They smoke very cool and the draw is large. I own both an old antiquari bent apple (KKKK0 and an old antiquari billard. Keep all three of your Cosellos. Sounds like you got a great buy!

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Castello are amazing pipes, and I'd say you've hit a homerun with those three.
IMO... Castello are the Italian answer to Dunhill and I agree with Salewis, I'd keep all three!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
That is a great score! Open the stems up yourself. Its not that hard, it just take patience, a steady hand, some drill bits and needle files.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I got the stems back yesterday. Tinsky really opened them up and improved them.

The one in back was the biggest, probably a G size, and I traded it to a buddy for an Ashton Old Church Bent Billiard w/ a brindle Stem. I'll post a pic of that tomorrow.

The curved one in front is a Castello 31 and I think I'm going to keep that one.

The Lovat in the middle is a shape 75 and I am going to sell it. Is anyone on here interested?

PM me if you are.

I'll send you more pics and info.

Status
Not open for further replies.