PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
I've been smoking pipes for a while and I have got favorite pipes I like to smoke but is anything that specifically determiines how a pipe will smoke? Is it the make, the briar, brand, price? I cruised the past articles but couldn't find anything specific. :?:

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Unfortunately, the answer to your question will vary greatly, and will probably come down to a lot of personal opinion. A lot of people prefer well-aged briar, a well drilled draft hole, chamber geometry suited to your preference, etc. And there are always exceptions to your own rules. Sometimes pipes just simply "smoke good" without a decent explanation. Im curious to see how others respond to this.
For me, brand and price will have the least effect on how the pipe will actually smoke. Certain brands have good reputations, but you're not guaranteed a good smoker from any brand. Price, as well, leads you to believe you're receiving a superior product and in turn, a good smoker. That's not always guaranteed either.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I asked myself this question so many times. I don’t think it is price as to many people will swear by (me included) a nice little basket pipe they love. In that aspect maybe it is cost in the fact I EXPECT more from a expensive pipe. Not really the pipes fault it costs so much, but can’t get past in my mind “This 100 dollar pipe does not smoke any better than this 20 dollar pipe”. That alone does not make the 100 dollar pipe a BAD pipe but I still judge it in my mind when in fact I should be happy I have 2 great smoking pipes. At least for me I have determined that lots of pipes I own are great smokers, but the ones that stand out are special for some reason. The $20.00 pipe smoking so good is a surprise making me note it as special. The pipe I bought on my honeymoon is special because of the time it was bought. My grandfathers pipe (actually does not smoke that great) is SPECIAL because of whom it belonged to. The moment I got it, the first smoke, the bargain, the memories associate with the times I have smoked it. All of these things I judge a pipe on that really has nothing to do with the pipe itself. The other side of this is what makes a BAD pipe, not including a defect in production. “This pipe burns hot” was I mad when I smoked it? Did I puff it like a train engine? Again that is not the pipes fault but can give it a negative connotation in my own mind. Could just be me.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I agree with both Dylan and dervis. To many things determine the perfect smoker in your own opinion. I have several basket pipes that are my go to pipes, each were less than $20. Its really a hit or miss on any pipe untill you pack it and try it.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I have a 20 buck pipe that smokes better then a 100 pipe. Its all hit and miss smoke what ya like and everything will be fine

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
For me the drill/ draft whole is of the most concern with bowl shape coming in a close second.
If a pipe is drilled properly and the bowl size is proportionate to the draw it smokes well.
Improperly drilled = poor smoke

Wide open drawl with a small bowl = poor smoke

Tight drawl on a large bowl = poor smoke

Properly drilled with a drawl propotionate to bowl size = good smoke
It is sometimes possible to compensate when packing tobacco on pipes with too much drawl by packing tighter....

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
IMHO what makes a good smoking pipe must start with one's ineffable attraction to the pipe. If you don't like the way a pipe looks, feels in your hand, or something else that you can't quite put your finger on it'll never smoke right either.

As an example of what I mean: the pipe I have chosen to smoke today is a cheapy.

It is a Basket Pipe. I think I paid 6 or 8 bucks for it, 15 or 20 years ago.

It is a Full Bent Chin Rester with an acrylic stem, smallish shellacked bowl, doesn't get hot, and marked "London Briar".

I like the way it looks. It's a bit small, easy to clinch, very light, and comfortable.

It smokes as well as other pipes I have costing 10 times as much.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I couldnt tell you, I know I HATE pipes that gurgle, so thats the draft hole. everything else is just looks and feel I suppose. I think everything is just chance to be honest

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks for the replies, it was as I suspected mostly subjective. I was just curious, there are some that would be apalled smoking anything but an expensive pipe. To me it is what ever I like no matter the cost. I look for feel, looks and price. I stick to about $100.00 or less, that is about all my budget will allow at the moment. I have pipes all in that range. Thanks again. Sam :puffy:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Save money, spend 200-400 on a nice pipe from a reputable person or company and find out for yourself instead of taking other people's words for it.
That's what I intend to do. :puffy:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
What determines a good smoking pipe?
When I like it.
the make, the briar, brand, price?

Which was your original question. Basically, for me, it's what Lawrence said. If I like the pipe, if it has a certain "Je ne sais quoi" (like the French love to say) that attracts me to it, then I will ponder the brand and price. If those are still within my means, I will buy it.
But in my experience, none of those guarantee a "good smoking pipe". I love my $170 Pete Rosslare. Love my $70 Sav. Love my $20 "Czech" basket pipe. I have a BC which is apparently way more expensive (but I got it for $60), which is good smoker, but not great. And my cheaper Pete Harp smokes as good as my Rosslare. So I've come to find ultimately that until you smoke it, preferably with a couple of different tobacco's to find out what the pipe really likes, you won't know if the pipe is going to be a good smoker or not. And for the same token, some guys here have not so good smoking experiences with pipes that perform wonderfully well for me. So I've really come to the conclusion that what makes a good smoke is the combination of pipe, tobacco, smoker and environment.
The mystery of the pipe smoking world. :puffpipe:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
It's not "hit or miss". It's good engineering and good materials. Jeff Gracik, Michael Parks, Joe Nelson, Brian Ruthenberg and Rad Davis don't make amazing pipes by accident.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I am of the same mind of Lawrence, but fully expect to find the engineering and manufacturing to be spot on and within what I'm looking for.
Appeal is very important because if I don't like the look of the pipe, or how it holds in mouth and hand, then I'm not as likely to smoke it as much. With engineering, the drilling should be to center, and like rhogg stated, should be proportionate to the pipe just as the design should be to the overall aesthetics. When I speak of manufacturing, I'm talking about things like dipping the pipe in stain vs. staining the outside of the pipe only, or placing lacquer over the pipe instead of a good polish and some wax. Personally, I've found that I enjoy pipes with a more open draw where my own packing can be adjusted for the blend I'm smoking, where some tighter draw pipes constrict my packing technique and tobacco usage.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
I asked the same question about a year ago on another site. the answer I liked best was, if it smokes good for you, then its a good smoker.

I also learned that until you figure out how to pack a pipe the right way, the question as to whether or not a pipe smokes well is almost totally moot. I've gone back to a couple I bought early on that I thought were terrible, only to find out that they are actually very good smokers, now that I know how to pack them the right way.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I think well seasoned briar plays a big part . But it is all luck of the draw . If one were to spend more on pipe , one expects hand selected briar and no fills . Never really put much stock into perfect drilling as long as it is close . Machine made or hand made the machine is really just a faster tool . Beauty is in the eye of the beholder . I do not like a tight draw . It really is all just the luck of the draw and God's doing .

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Good old briar, nice open draw. Everything else is cosmetic. The English makers of the last century produced pipes from about 1920-1970 that are hard to beat. GBD, BBB, Barling, Comoy, Dunhill, and Sasinei are all superb in that vintage. The new crop of American makers make a great pipe now. I am biased against any "new" post 1978- present factory pipe. They can be great but I want to have it in my hands before I purchase, to check draw, and the way the stem was drilled. in my experiance pipes made in the 80's and 90's suffer from poor quality control, no matter what factory produced them resulting in some great pipes, some horrible pipes, and a lot of mediocre pipes.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Only "dead root briar" pipes smoke good, it is the honest truth. :wink:
Seriously though: I would expect a pipe made by an artisan to smoke really well since the artisan would spend much more time making sure everything is drilled/engineered properly. If not, then the rep of the artisan would be in danger.

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
I think it's a personal decision one must make... Personally I love quality, beauty, and workmanship... when I smoke my Ser Jacopo with it's natural beautiful grain and can see the shiny silver band as I puff away... it's my favorite pipe. It's my most expensive pipe too. So personally right now... in my mind the more expensive the pipe, the more I enjoy the smoke. I'm sure I'll change though as I smoke through the years. Also kindof like driving from point A to point B... you can either cruise in style in a Mercedes or simply just get there in a Chevette... both do pretty much the same thing in the end but the more expensive and luxurious ride is so much nicer. Of course you can get a lemon. Ha!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Good smoking for me is a combination of easy draw, good flavor transmission, and a cool smoke. The clench should be comfortable, the narrower the better. The bowl should not get too hot to hold in my hand. Almost none of these attributes are testable prior to stuffing the pipe and lighting up. I have also found that similarly appearing pipes do not smoke always smoke the same way, even from the same manufacturer. It's the luck of the draw, boys and girls, so if it appeals to you visually, and feels right in the hand and the teeth, go for it.

I would still acknowledge the maxim: buy the best pipe you can afford. Do some research on carvers, companies, etc. Get some feedback from other pipers. Stay away from Chinese low end pipes. Wear sunscreen. And if the pipe you buy doesn't pan out, somebody on this forum will probably buy it from you. :puffy:

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
The pipe has to feature a lot of "bling." That is, rhinestones must cover the top of the bowl and the vulcanite should be pitted and littered with gold glitter.
Just kidding. I'm in a playful mood today. :nana:
Seriously, though, I have a process when purchasing a pipe. Since I can't smoke the pipe before I purchase it, I first judge by the way it feels in my hand: size, weight, shape, etc. I'll take a look down the chamber and make sure the draw hole is kosher. If the pipe is pleasing to my eyes, that's a plus.
If, when I get it home, it draws easy with a good sized pack of tobacco in its chamber and feels comfortable to my mouth, then I am a happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.