What’s the deal with Rattray’s Marlin Flake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
This stuff is delicious, I think it could even be my main everyday smoke… if I could keep the stuff lit. It seems impossible to smoke, I’ve let it dry a couple hours to literally two days and it still doesn’t pass the the “ball up and squeeze” test for dryness (it still sticks together indicating moisture). When I put it in my pipe, I can only ever get about 1/3 of the way through the bowl before it goes out and is literally impossible to relight. I’ve tried several different packing techniques and none of them have worked Has anyone had the same issue with MF and if so, what’s been your solution?

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ot is fantastic stuff. I love it. But you are right. It is wet. I tear off short strips and rub it out well. Then if it is a sunny day I oit it in sunlight coming thru the window for a good 10-15 minutes. I think you also have to not pack tight. Try ashing a little before a major relight. Mainly I think rubbing out well is important. It holds a of juice.

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I've not had this problem. It is moist, but I just dry the jar out when I pop it, and have never had an issue keeping it lit. Maybe try a coffee mug warmer to dry your tin/jar. You don't have you general location in your profile, and you don't mention here you are. It could be that the humidity there is not allowing your tobacco to dry.
I live in a place in the US that has almost 0 humidity but I like your idea of a coffee warmer. I suppose I could nuke it for a little while too.

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Ot is fantastic stuff. I love it. But you are right. It is wet. I tear off short strips and rub it out well. Then if it is a sunny day I oit it in sunlight coming thru the window for a good 10-15 minutes. I think you also have to not pack tight. Try ashing a little before a major relight. Mainly I think rubbing out well is important. It holds a of juice.
It’s interesting you mention ashing. When I ash, the remaining tobacco is still black and very crispy and dry, so much so that it won’t stay lit and tastes terrible. Any idea how to get around that?

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I have had this experience of Marlin Flake being goopy and undryable. It is probably the worst of any blend I have that isn't an aromatic.

I believe my tin was from 2018.
Yeah that’s my experience as well. I guess it’ll be a good blend to color my meer since it’s so moist and goopy!

Reactions: KruegerFlap
I suppose I could nuke it for a little while too.
If you nuke it a bowl at a time, I suggest putting it in a coffee filter and just go for 5-8 seconds. Never any more than that or else it changes the flavor. And after the microwave beeps, leave it in there for about a minute. The heat is generated in the few seconds, but it takes time to drive off the moisture. I hope that helps

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Never had a problem with Marlin Flake, excellent tobacco. Used to smoke it quite often when I lived in Spain, which gets very hot & humid. No need to dry it or overthink the packing, just light it & smoke the darned thing. If & when it goes out, just relight it & ‘smoke it till you own it’. Pairs very well with red wine, Marlin does.

Unless you’re trying to smoke a pipe in the Amazonian rain forest, I’d suggest the problem is with you & not your Marlin Flake.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This stuff is delicious, I think it could even be my main everyday smoke… if I could keep the stuff lit. It seems impossible to smoke, I’ve let it dry a couple hours to literally two days and it still doesn’t pass the the “ball up and squeeze” test for dryness (it still sticks together indicating moisture). When I put it in my pipe, I can only ever get about 1/3 of the way through the bowl before it goes out and is literally impossible to relight. I’ve tried several different packing techniques and none of them have worked Has anyone had the same issue with MF and if so, what’s been your solution?
not apoqular piece of advice but how i deal with stubborn flakes is to get a big bright way to hot ember and let that go out even out the ash as evenly as possible then light it in a normal fashion and tamp about way more then i would a ribbon like a lot more, it varies but honestly about every five minutes. Oh i either fold and stuff or break flakes into a ready rub and i don't worry about drying.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I find Marlin Flake to be a great smoke that is trouble-free in its preparation. After opening I generally leave the tin uncovered a few days before starting to smoke from it.

Reactions: badbriar
I tried Cosmic's microwave suggestion earlier today. It actually worked like a charm. I think I slightly overcooked it. Next time I will do it for less time. It dries fast in the nuke.
I don't do this often, because I usually dry whole tins or jars before ever dipping into them. But, in a pinch, it's a good trick. Just a few seconds is all it takes. Some guys will immediately open the door and touch it and declare that their tobacco is still wet. But, just leaving it alone for a minute or so is when the magic happens. I mean, it reduces drying time down to a few minutes, not being able to wait longer than 5 seconds is really impatient, ha ha. Give it the extra minute.

• Wow
Reactions: badbriar

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I have a small mic with an analog type dial so I counted to 7. I will cut it to 4 next time. Yes, I waited for a minute or two and it makes a huge difference as it cools and lets off moisture. It wasnt crackle dry but pretty dry. When I zone in on the moisture level I want I will possibly do whole tins.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore