PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I heard that you should wet the pipe down as you move up in grit to raise the grain so that it won't rise later after the pipe is finished. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard this. Also, is it ok to wet sand before the final coat of stain?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You do not need to "wet" the surface. Just wipe down with a moist cloth and let dry. This does in deed raise the grain. This technique is a "rule" in fine woodworking, which I do a bit of. I would guess that as pipe making is woodworking the "rule" should also. Damp wipe, sand and then dry wipe (dust), check the work and go to a finer grit if satisfied. Repeat the process over and over and over and over and . . . .
I don't work with briar so I can't offer any further with regards to grits and such as I do not know how the briar "works."

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I am not a pipemaker by trade either Anthony, but I have been a professional woodworker my entire life. We never raise the grain with water unless we will be using a water based stain and/or finish, which is rare in commercial woodworking. If you are going to raise the grain, do it when you are on your final grit. Remember to sand very, very lightly after raising the grain, just knock off the fuzz that you've raised. If you sand any more than that you are defeating the purpose by exposing fresh fibers.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
anthonyrosenthal74:
Wetting wood to raise the grain is an old, old technique employed by cabinet and gun-stock makers. Personally I can attest that it works extremely well on the latter, although I have never tried it on a briar pipe (the thought simply never occurred to me!). Given the glass-like finishes which Mr. Eric Nording is able to obtain on some of the pipes which he produces, my guess is that this is a technique which he may utilize.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks everyone for your comments :) I know this is only my first pipe I'm working on, but I'm striving for the best finished pipe I can achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.