PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I have a soft spot for Weber pipes and wanted to try my hand at staining. Up till now I've just been stripping, sanding, and doing stems.
It turned out alright...the I should have stained the top separate. I didn't think about the stain pooling. I used the bic lighter method on the stem before I took the initial shot. I'm not sure about it yet. I can't tell if it worked any better then good old fashioned elbow grease. After sanding the pipe, I stained it a dark mahogany, took off the excess with alcohol, resanded the smooth parts, then stained it buckskin, then took off the excess. I wanted a bit more contrast but it is lighter then the pictures appear.
I used Halcyon wax to finish it A. because I wanted to try it. B. Because I just couldn't get inside that rustication with my white diamond. Buffed it with my "drill" buffer. I learned a bit for the next one.
Oh yeah. I smoked it after I did my first sanding. It smokes really well but the bowl diameter is a little big for me. I'll probably make it my crossover aro/english pipe. Apologize for the pics...used my cell phone.
IMAG0004_zpsb2cef331.jpg

IMAG0007_zps9129bf5e.jpg

IMAG0014_zpse30da169.jpg

IMAG0018_zpsf1bf6260.jpg

IMAG0015_zpse482ff54.jpg

IMAG0017_zpsb8444039.jpg

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Thanks for the comments.
It was such an ugly little pipe when I bought it, but it felt like it had a bit of promise in it.
Guess I need to place a new TAD order to find something new to put in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.