Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I really like to use the micromesh pads, They will bring up a very nice polish.
Then afterwards, I just keep them buffed with a
jeweler's cloth after each smoke to keep them shiny. The white piece polishes and removes tarnish, and the blue outside piece is imbedded with a microcrystalline wax that prevents oxidation.

I've never used Obsidian Oil, but I find that oils in general just tend to hide the oxidation. And as soon as the oil has dried it comes back. It must do something right, because so many people swear by it. YMMV
I believe that the obsidian oil has a bit of sunscreen in it. On my older pipes, such as the Charatan Makes, sun light even for a small am of time can brown the black. The obsidian oil helps them resist browning over mineral oil. I have also flames the stem with a bit of obsidian oil on it and them meshes it with the pads. Vulcanite is the devil‘s gift to pipe smokers.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In the two years since I posted this I’ve bought two Duke of Wellington giant sized pipes.

This WDC Special is I think is where Robert Marx learned the importance of using the top grade of Algerian briar, while he worked for WDC. This one smokes as well as any pipe ever made anywhere on this planet.

IMG_5925.jpeg
IMG_5926.jpeg
The other is a pipe I guarantee was NOT SOLD BY DUNHILL!

But it is perfectly made from a perfect piece of dense briar and smokes as well as any pipe not made of ancient Algerian briar ever will.

IMG_5923.jpeg
IMG_5924.jpeg
IMG_5921.jpeg

For a really whopper of a big pipe, the Duke of Wellington shape hangs better and is more comfortable to clench, and smokes drier than any other I’ve found.

Unlike other giant pipes, the fire is out there far enough that smoke doesn’t come back in your face as much.

Until I find a Pre 54 Marxman Giant Wellington these three will do me nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_5922.jpeg
    IMG_5922.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: