PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
This isn't so much of a review as just some of my random thoughts.

The more I smoke this blend the more I love it!

I've been reading some reviews (including @jiminks review) on it and I get some, or a lot, of the flavors mentioned but to add my own take I find it a very savory blend with a nice (very much brown sugar) sweetness on top of the rich leathery/earthy tobacco flavors.

The perique really tends toward a fig flavor which might actually be the source of the brown sugar flavor I get. I'm assuming it's the perique as I've never tasted it by itself but it's the type of flavor (the perique overall, not the fig) I get in a lot of VaPer blends but not others.

The fig almost becomes plum with a small amount of retrohale. I suck at retrohaling but I get just enough to really bring forth some flavors in substantial strength but without frying the inside of my nose. It's a phenomenal blend in this respect and I would recommend it to someone trying to learn retrohaling as it takes so little to get so much flavor.

Another nice things is all of the flavors seem to be easily accessible even if you are a newcomer to pipe smoking. The cake/flake (whatever you want to call it) crumbles apart by hand nice and easy too.

Of course I write this after ordering a pound while it's in stock. Maybe I should've ordered 2 pounds...

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
558 is on my list to try but I forgot to order a sample when I placed my last order. (I did order some Deluxe Crumb Cut and Persian Slipper though). Rhythm & Blues is also on my to try list.

I've read lots of reviews on 558 but I somehow suspect Old Dominion will just be more to my taste as almost everyone describes 558 as less sweet. It's lower perique content may be the reason for this. I guess I'll know shortly after my next order.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
558 is on my list to try but I forgot to order a sample when I placed my last order. (I did order some Deluxe Crumb Cut and Persian Slipper though). Rhythm & Blues is also on my to try list.

I've read lots of reviews on 558 but I somehow suspect Old Dominion will just be more to my taste as almost everyone describes 558 as less sweet. It's lower perique content may be the reason for this. I guess I'll know shortly after my next order.
Rhythm and Blues is a fantastic blend. Quite sweet.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019

This is exactly why I prefer OD over 558, the natural sweetness. OD is my go-to Va/Per blend. I’ve been hounding Ernie about the drop date on Rouxgaroux. I really can’t wait to try it too. Great thread.

Reactions: marlinspike

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Same here. What's the word? I'd love to grab 2 oz to try!
I don’t know. The last two times I hit Ernie up he said mid-April, but that’s come and gone. He did say that Rouxgaroux has a lengthy aging process so this might be the hold up.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Goes almost as quick as a Stonehaven drop...
I have never seen a Stonehaven drop...in the last 3 years at least! A generous poster put it up on the forum when Rouxgaroux dropped and it was for sale at least 3 days. Stonehaven... vanishes like people in the witness protection program! If you happen to see or hear please post. The sample I had of Stonehaven was so crappy that I need to try at least a pound to be sure it's not worth my time or money! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.