PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hello folks, I have a few rusticated meers that after a scrubbing with a toothbrush & Murphy's soap are somewhat 'dry' in appearance. I would like to apply beeswax to the bowls but am unsure as to what method to use as the finish is rather craggy and I worry about leaving lumps of wax in the low points.
I have a heatgun & buffer if that helps.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Regards,
Jay.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Beeswax is fairly soft, and flows fairly well when heated. While I have not done this myself, I would imagine just heating the pipe and rubbing down with the wax should suffice. I'd probably test it on a small area first.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Anyone know where Fred, the slave of the white goddess and resident meerschaum expert went?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well Click, as no one else has chimed in I am about to give it a go with my shiny new heatgun. I am assuming I just heat the stummel and offer up the bar of wax.
Regards,
Jay.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
While I don't have any rusticated meers, I usually just melt down a block of bees wax slowly on the stove. Then I plug the mortise and the bowl with a cork and dip it into the wax. I remove and let it sit a while. To remove excess, I use a hairdryer and a soft cloth.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I just hear the outside of the pipe slowly with the heat gun and then start rubbing it with a chunk of wax. The wax will liquefy and run into the nooks and crannies on its own. After you've applied a goodly amount then run it over the heat again and the excess will melt and then with a thick cloth gently rub the excess off. Continue to repeat this step til the wax is removed.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well folks I took your advice and heated the stummel with the heatgun (blimey, that thing gets hot!) and gently daubed the beeswax bar all over it. At first it looked very blotchy but once cooled it had evened itself out. No longer an off white, it now is a lovely honey coloured.
Many thanks fellas for your input.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.