Washington Smoking Laws: Advice for Enjoying a Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

CliftonD87

Lurker
Jun 20, 2022
Well, from my experience of smoking in public places within Washington, be it parks, at the evidence impound lots, on the side of roads, middle of the freeway, most of the officers will not say a damn thing. I actually asked them a few times different officers and they all told me the same thing. It is not their problem, it is a DOH problem and they could not be hassled with it. However if smoking leads to a fight or a huge dispute they would have to act. Makes sense to me, I just suggest if you do smoke in public to do so respectfully and not give them any reason to bug you. Respect the 25 foot rule in front of buildings, and such.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
If I was in the Continental USA, and smoking was being clamped down hard in my area, I would see if there were any Native American Reservations, no joke.

1. Are the Reservations still under their own laws?

2. Smoking in Native American culture was/is ceremonial and religious, so freedom of religion.

3. You meet and make some nice smoking buddies this way.

This might sound stupid to some, but the way I still understand it, the Native Americans Reservations will be outside USA law in regards to smoking.

I seriously doubt the Washington police, sheriffs, etc., are going on American Indian Reservations and telling them they can’t smoke. LOL 😆

Of course a lot of American Indians have turned away from smoking too.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained… ;)

Here, I did some homework… :)

• Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I've lived in Seattle and Tacoma. Anyone who wants to smoke, and there are many, smoke anything they want, wherever they want. In Seattle the police were told years ago to not bother anyone smoking marijuana in public.

WA state and Seattle have all sorts of weird laws that they have no intention of enforcing. Tacoma is a free-for-all in almost every regard imaginable. I like it quite a bit.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed

This might sound stupid to some, but the way I still understand it, the Native Americans Reservations will be outside USA law in regards to smoking.
Short answer = yes.
In fact, the only smoking accessible lounges for cigars/pipes in Pierce County (Tacoma area) are both on reservation land.

The only one place i know of that has a private lounge off reservation in Thurston County (just south in the Olympia area) is Cigar Daddys. They get around it by having the smoking area as a separate facility from the storefront in what i think is an old, converted garage out back.

Reactions: PipeIT

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
If I was in the Continental USA, and smoking was being clamped down hard in my area, I would see if there were any Native American Reservations, no joke.

2. Smoking in Native American culture was/is ceremonial and religious, so freedom of religion.

3. You meet and make some nice smoking buddies this way.

I seriously doubt the Washington police, sheriffs, etc., are going on American Indian Reservations and telling them they can’t smoke. LOL 😆

Of course a lot of American Indians have turned away from smoking too.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained… ;)

Here, I did some homework… :)

The Seattle pipe club holds their meetings at Smokey Joes in Fife which is actually on Indian land.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Hello! Haven't had a chance to get out to Orcas yet, but I hear it is beautiful. Currently in Bellingham. The laws as I have read them state that smoking anywhere in public that isn't a designated smoking area is prohibited.
I used to live in Bham but it’s been 8 years since I moved away. Wasn’t aware of a law like that. So you are saying you literally can’t walk down the street and enjoy a smoke? Does the same law apply to smoking actual marijuana?