PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ash Cooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2023
Greenville, SC
www.instagram.com
Does anyone on here know if you are allowed to ship tobacco OUT of the state of Washington? I have a friend who wants to mail me some but she isn’t sure if she’s allowed to. Any help would be appreciated.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Does anyone on here know if you are allowed to ship tobacco OUT of the state of Washington? I have a friend who wants to mail me some but she isn’t sure if she’s allowed to. Any help would be appreciated.
It will require a little white lye when the post master asks if the box contains anything hazardous because the tins are clearly marked.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
read it how you want:

(1) A person may not:
(a) Ship or transport, or cause to be shipped or transported, any tobacco product ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet to anyone in this state other than a licensed wholesaler or retailer

I'm not a lawyer, but it feels like their language is specifically to shipping tobacco to someone into the state. IE - They want their taxes due.

TakeThisCobAndStuffIt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2023
Tidewater, VA
These laws are intended to address commerce, not gifts between friends and family. It 'might' be against the law for me to send my brother a bottle of scotch for Christmas as it's a different state, but I am certain that the ATF has bigger things to worry about than this. Now if I was to try to pick up a truckload of Coors beer in say Texarkana and try to bring it back that may be considered bootleggin.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I've shipped quite a bit of pipe tobacco out of WA. But only as gifts/trades.

I've never had any issues, but then again, I've never labeled the boxes with "FRAGILE; AGED PIPE TOBACCO INSIDE".

I know that TinBids will not allow you to list tobacco for sale if your address is a WA address, but that could just be them covering their legal bases.

Your friend should be good to ship it to you, but I am not an attorney and bear no responsibility for confiscated contraband.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
read it how you want:

I'm not a lawyer, but it feels like their language is specifically to shipping tobacco to someone into the state. IE - They want their taxes due.
It DOES say: "any tobacco product ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet..."

And since it was already purchased and this friend is mailing it out of WA...well, the communist State of Washington already got their 10 lbs of flesh.

Reactions: pip01 and Sobrbiker