Was I the First Adopter of Electric Vehicles on this Forum?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just dug out this photograph of me taken at my Grandmother's in Sussex when I guess I was aged about 5 or 6? If I recall it operated on a 12v car battery under the bonnet (hood) and there was always another on charge.

Wow did I love that little car, no brakes, just a go pedal and it went just above walking pace I believe.

I was born December 1961 so it would have been taken circa 1966-7 so can anyone here beat that?

1 me.jpg

Jay.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
What was your nickname at school Jay, Stirling Moss?!

Can't beat that I'm afraid, I wasn't born until 72.

Love it! 👍
No gloves, helmet, seat belt & no brakes! Makes an englishman proud.

I did have the pleasure(?) of cruising round town in a Sinclair C5 when they first came out in the 80's. My dad had to sign wright one for a client of his. When he locked up and disappeared to the pub, I unlocked his workshop and 'had it away' for an hour or so. Lol

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All my early vehicles were of the U-push-it variety!

At the same time I had an earlier first hand intro to electric vehicles. The vegetable vendor had an electric vehicle and would make house calls in 1950. (!) It looked more like a horse carriage than anything today. Didn't last long, probably he died, as he was ancient in my eyes back then,

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It says "Radio Flyer" which makes it an airplane. (It either has retractable wings w/a hidden activation switch, or the wings rusted off.)

Either way, that's livin' large, not "relegated to the Flintstones." (Fred, Wilma, Betty, and Barney didn't have radios back then, either.)