Volume Comparisons of Tobacco to Objects?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Hey guys, being a new guy I got a few questions.
First off, does anybody have a 50 gram tin they can show next to say, a CD so I can get an approximation of how much tobacco I'm really getting? I know it's relatively 2 oz, but that just seems like so little.
Maybe someone can show a bag of tobacco that is 2 oz next to a CD and then a 2 oz bag next to a 1 lbs bag? I'm interested in seeing how much space it actually takes up.
Oh, and, how many bowls can you really fill up on with 2 oz of that tobacco?

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I've got a couple of round 50g tins right here. I held one up to a CD, and it is about 1/2 inch smaller in diameter. It's about an inch deep. The tobacco in each of these was ribbon cut and packed pretty tight. I just moved the tobacco to jars yesterday, and it "fluffed up" quite a bit. Flake tobacco is different. It is very tightly compressed, so 50g looks like a lot less. A 50g flake tobacco tin is usually rectangular and smaller, and the flakes rattle around inside. Number of flakes inside depends on how the manufacturer cuts it.
50g roughly equals two ounces. A pound is 16 ounces, so eight times as much as a 2 oz bag.
Number of bowls depends on the size of bowl. I don't know the answer, but to me it seems like a lot, since I'm not making a lot of headway on my open tins. :) Someone who smokes more frequently can probably answer this easily.
Simon

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Different manufacturers put their tobaccos in different kinds of tins. You have a round flat type, square flat type, rectangular flat type, round deep tins, etc. It depends on the type of tin on how much space it will take up.
50g = 1.76369oz

100g = 3.52739oz
With an average sized bowl (one that takes about 3 grams of tobacco), a 50g tin will give you around 16-17 bowls and a 2oz tin will give you around 19-20 bowls. These are just average numbers and it depends on the size of the chamber in the pipe being smoked.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
As Bob has pointed out, the way to evaluate tobacco quantity

is weight, not volume. 1 lb of 1-Q will have less mass than

1 lb of Prince Albert. GLP and C&D are among the last to use

2oz tins, the majority of blenders having gone to 50gm tins.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Wait. I think you mean 1 lbs is the same mass, but the density of the item can make the size appear larger or smaller.
Thanks for the reply guys. It is insightful to know approximately how many smokes the tobacco will last.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Onizuka,
I picked up this 1/2 lb. of 1Q today.

I hope this helps.
1QHalfPound.jpg

Edit: This picture is almost exactly life size, on my laptop.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Thanks, that is awesome. I just put up a matchbox and a CD up to my screen. Haha, thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.