PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike N

Administrator
Aug 3, 2023
On a whim while in Columbus I called Smokers Haven (even though it is no longer a brick and mortar) and asked if I could drop by. Longtime pipemaker and owner, Premmel Cheddah, graciously invited me over and gave me a tour of his workshop, then brought out dozens of artisan pipes he had for sale. I could not resist a few— see last photo.

Attachments

• IMG_6713.jpeg
    IMG_6713.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6714.jpeg
    IMG_6714.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6716.jpeg
    IMG_6716.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6717.jpeg
    IMG_6717.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6727.jpeg
    IMG_6727.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6725.jpeg
    IMG_6725.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 64

Mike N

Administrator
Aug 3, 2023
They're all lovely but this is what's really wowing me. I don't even normally like bamboo pipes.
There were some incredible Chinese carvers at the Chicago Pipe show, but the prices were outrageous ($500 and up.) I don’t know if I captured the forward cant of the bowl in the photo below, but that is what caught my eye. Premmel had so many nice pipes at the shop since he has traveled a lot and developed relationships with all these carvers to carry their pipes.

Attachments

• IMG_6799.jpeg
    IMG_6799.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 9

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Congrats on the fine new pipes! Premal is such a kind person. He patiently helped me with some estate restorations, introduced me to pipes from Rad Davis, estate GBD’s, IMP Meerschaum, and Bill Shalosky. He has an eye for not only fine pipe creation, but new artisans as well. His attention to detail is amazing.

A local pipe club used to meet at the shop 1x a month, was introduced to GLP Ravens Wing, Esoterica’s Penzance & Margate. The store had an amazing array of fine jarred tobaccos, a full line of SG & GH blends and Smokers Haven blends for ready purchase, in jars. Premal hosted a pre Columbus Pipe Club show at the shop, such a good time. I So miss those days.

dublinpiper90

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
On a whim while in Columbus I called Smokers Haven (even though it is no longer a brick and mortar) and asked if I could drop by. Longtime pipemaker and owner, Premmel Cheddah, graciously invited me over and gave me a tour of his workshop, then brought out dozens of artisan pipes he had for sale. I could not resist a few— see last photo.
Nice looking bamboo stem pipe

Reactions: jbfrady and Mike N

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I remember the older gentleman who wore a blue blazer & liked cigar leaf in his blends. Was that Sailorman Jack?

Mike N

Administrator
Aug 3, 2023
Now that we have had the Seinfeld-esque Festivus airing of real or imagined grievances, I would like to again thank Premal for the incredible kindness he showed this stranger on my visit to his shop. He has such a fine eye for quality artisan pipe makers from around the globe.

Over the past 40 years or so I’ve been lucky to have visited brick and mortar pipe shops from New York to California. Unfortunately, many of them are gone. That’s why I have started recent threads with photos of my visits to Iwan Ries in Chicago, The Pipe Rack in Akron, McCranie’s in Charlotte and several Tinder Box outlets. The welcome and inventory at each was incredible. But none surpassed the personal touch of Premal on my spur of the moment visit to Smokers Haven in Columbus. What a fine gentleman.

Status
Not open for further replies.