PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SSGT.

Lurker
Jul 7, 2024
Sealy Texas
Pardon me for sounding dumb or weird but I'm only a year or so into pipe smoking and I am still learning and sampling. I just got some Daughters & Ryan Windsail Silver and I think its ok, but it is my first Virginia, and I found it to have a slight salty taste. I was just wondering if all Virginias are like this or if it is a trait of the brand.

Reactions: jbfrady

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
"... it is my first Virginia, and I found it to have a slight salty taste. I was just wondering if all Virginias are like this or if it is a trait of the brand.
Virginia blends are complex. I sometimes get a saltiness, but inconsistently, even though I tend to stick with one blend for a week or more. I was guessing that my "salt" buds were lighting up from something else going on physiologically - something I ate or drank, perhaps. But, yes, I feel it too sometimes.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Never thought of Virginias as salty. There are different types of Virginias and the flavors vary quite a bit, from citrus and grassy to toast and dark fruit notes, and everything in-between.

Consider C&D Yorktown for a good, straightforward VA blend, or Newminster 400 flake for a pleasantly aromatic VA smoke. Amphora Virginia is another straight, non-aromatic VA I've been enjoying lately.

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
I've gotten that before, but not necessarily from straight VA. More like Vapers. Captain Earle's Honor Blend is one more recently. Also, they didn't name one of them Salty Dogs for no reason! :P

However, to answer your question: no, that's not a typical trait for VA (or Vapers for that matter). Try a few more...heck, try as many as you can. Taste is subjective. That's how you build your own personal repertoire and know what you like/dislike.

Suggestions: C&D Opening Night and ES 4th Gen 2012. Digging these lately.

Reactions: FLDRD and jbfrady

SSGT.

Lurker
Jul 7, 2024
Sealy Texas
Got an interesting reply to this question at an old general store. In the back room some of the local old timers hang out and drink coffee smoke pipes & cigars & tell lies, since I'm 60 these old timers are in their late 70's and 80's.

Everyone knows everyone in this town and they all know I'm a Veterinarian and raise bloodhounds , anyhow the first question I got was do you carry your tobacco in an unlined leather pouch in your pocket. Which I do and I was told its the sweat soaking in through the pouch. Guess I need to buy a proper pouch.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Virginias, depending on the source, curing and blending can have notes of bread crust, grassiness, hay, citrus and many others. I’ve not encountered saltiness, but everyone’s palate is different.

GLP Union Square or Capstan Blue would be much more typical of what Virginias have to offer.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
I love virginias and I love how different they can be from each other. Samuel Gawith Golden Glow & FVF & BBF, Orlik Golden Sliced, Watch City Simply Orange, Meistermischung no 88, Esoterica Brighton & Tilbury, and Stutliff 515 RC-1 mixed 50/50 with Sutliff 507-S are regulars in my rotation.

I wouldn't kick a quality Virginia out of bed unless it wanted to f- on the floor.

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Got an interesting reply to this question at an old general store. In the back room some of the local old timers hang out and drink coffee smoke pipes & cigars & tell lies, since I'm 60 these old timers are in their late 70's and 80's.

Everyone knows everyone in this town and they all know I'm a Veterinarian and raise bloodhounds , anyhow the first question I got was do you carry your tobacco in an unlined leather pouch in your pocket. Which I do and I was told its the sweat soaking in through the pouch. Guess I need to buy a proper pouch.
I guess this counts as an instance of added natural flavors

John C.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2020
Have you tried Windsail straight out of the bag and compared it to what's in your pouch? I prefer D&R's Penhooker Silver over Windsail. I find it a touch smoother and sweeter.
That general store sounds like good times.

'olbuzzsaw

Lurker
Apr 11, 2024
Northwest Indiana
It may be possible that the sodium channel receptors are being stimulated while you taste Virginia blends. This will probably change over time as will your preference of blends. Take some tasting notes on the Windsail Silver now and compare them after sampling other Virginias.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I don't recall the type of blend, but there was a time when my salty receptors were being stimulated by something in the leaf I was enjoying. Possibly even by more that one type of blend. I think it was earlier on and I sense that less now that I'm more accustomed to the act of fumigating my oral cavity...
But with Virginias, I'm seeking the sweetness as a base.

Reactions: dottlejockey