PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrym

Lurker
Nov 23, 2010
new pipe smoker bought some opening night but it will not stay lit any one have suggestions on how to smoke these flakes

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Flakes can be smoked whole or completely rubbed out and all points in between. What method of packing are you using now? Rubbing it out will help it burn. By rubbing out I mean take the flake between the palms of your hands and roll the flake into a ball and keep rubbing and applying pressure until the flake crumbles into something that resembles the tobacco you are used to smoking. Search the forums too. There are all kinds of posts about flake packing methods.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
It's kind of like charcoal... a bitch to get lit, but when you do it burns great.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Another thought... I noticed your a "new" pipe smoker. I hope you realize you have to "tamp" after lighting. What you should try to do is create a slight ash layer on the top of the tobacco. Light, tamp, light, tamp... if you do this it should finally stay lite for a while. Remember, you're trying to make a fire burn "down", when it really wants to burn "up".

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Lower left hand corner of this screen has a link to flake preparation methods article by PipesMagazine magus :worship: Bob Tate.
Welcome to the forums Kerry, and be sure to let us know how things work out for you. Remember, it's not you, it's the flake that's flakey.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Full Virginia Flake, which I'm guessing is what we're talking about, is a

bit of a special case. It doesn't deliver the full flavor experience unless

it is dry..., real dry. Some will cut it into cubes and let it dry overnight.

For me, letting the Flakes dry to the point of being brittle, gives me the

best results. I just break off small chunks and fill the bowl with them. I

prefer smoking blends a bit on the dry side, but this one is little other than

mediocre unless it's really dry. BYW Bob, great article.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Welcome to the site Kerry! Cortezattic has already pointed you to my article on flake tobaccos. That should help you to enjoy the flakes a little more.
Thanks Fred!

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Any Virginia tobacco, but particularly flakes, will burn hot if you don't take your time. Smoke it slowly and give the flavor a chance to develop. Start out with it packed loosely, you can always tamp it a little tighter later

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like Bob's videos a lot. I recently watched them again, and learned something new -- something I wasn't watching for the 1st time.
kcvet67's advice is the best all-around strategy for dealing with "hot and sassy" Va flakes, IMO.
Fred, I just tried FVF dried to a crunch, and it was great. I was skeptical at 1st, thinking that drying FVF would make it harsh; but you're 100% right; great way to smoke FVF. Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.