Vintage Nimrod Pipe Lighter Maintenance and Repair?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaclypse

Lurker
Feb 21, 2020
monroe louisiana
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

My mother just passed my grandfathers nimrod pipe lighter down to me. It seems to be the first model produced, as there is a window to depress the button which holds the two pieces together, and supposedly that isn't on older models. There is very little i can find online about this lighter other than the fact that it exist. It's in working order, I filled it with fluid, carefully hand-drilled out the rotten flint and replaced it. However it doesn't hold fluid for more than a day. I would like to replace the cotton and wick, and am wondering if normal cotton balls and a zippo wick would work? Also, there is a small crack in the side, i don't know if it goes all the way through, but how would I go about repairing that? a little JB-weld on the inside? I thought about soldering it but the whole lighter is just a big metal heatsink so I think that is out of the question.

Last edited by a moderator:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am sorry but I have always had an issue with a product called 'Nimrod'. In the U.K its a term of abuse and refers to a really stupid person. I have seen the lighters and they are wonderful but I just think the marketing department had an off day with naming the product. Its like the French dude who invented the 'Bic Lighter' thinking it would be a snazzy idea to call it 'The Retard' or something very English sounding!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Nimrod was a legendary hunter according to the Bible. You and your "crowd" simply usurped the name and assigned it a different definition. I suspect, knowing more than a few people who are educated and residents of the UK, that the misuse of "Nimrod" is not all that widespread. It is misused in the US as well but, rarely.

But, we are to both be chastised for taking the OP off on a tangent. Such behavior is no longer tolerated according to what I've read.

Reactions: ChippewaAce

Malaclypse

Lurker
Feb 21, 2020
monroe louisiana
Also; i finally found some documents that came with it
nimrod9.jpg

nimrod10.jpg
nimrod11.jpg

however, while cool it doesn't really help me

Reactions: rushx9

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
A very similar lighter was around in the U.K in the 1980s. It looked like a pen and if you send a cheque or money order for One Pound and a certain number of empty Mellow Virginia pouches they sent you one.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Zippo ripped a lot of their design from the two Nimrod lighters. Wicks, flints, and rayon balls from Zippo work in the Nimrod.

20200424_030946.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.